Bonuses for Investment Banking 2017

How are bonuses looking this year? Sounds like Deutsche got hammered and Morgan Stanley was down 15%.

Mod Note: You can find the S&T and ER bonus pages below.
S&T Bonuses
ER Bonuses

Overview of Bonuses for Investment Bankers

While salaries and bonuses can change every year on Wall Street, you can stay up to date with the Wall Street Oasis Industry Report. You can see a snip of the details provided in the report below.

User @MiddleMarketLivesMatter", a sales and trading vice president, also shared the following insight.

MiddleMarketLivesMatter - Sales and Trading Vice President:
Middle Market Shop bonuses are looking exceptional. It's where the real money is in this new economy. Left a BB three years ago and have seen bigger bonuses every year.

Read More About Bonuses on WSO

Preparing for Investment Banking Interviews?

The WSO investment banking interview course is designed by countless professionals with real world experience, tailored to people aspiring to break into the industry. This guide will help you learn how to answer these questions and many, many more.

Investment Banking Interview Course Here

Expected, no?

GoldenCinderblock: "I keep spending all my money on exotic fish so my armor sucks. Is it possible to romance multiple females? I got with the blue chick so far but I am also interested in the electronic chick and the face mask chick."

Look on the bright side. Less taxes.

GoldenCinderblock: "I keep spending all my money on exotic fish so my armor sucks. Is it possible to romance multiple females? I got with the blue chick so far but I am also interested in the electronic chick and the face mask chick."

DB juniors are being very shielded, compared to the rest of the firm, from what I am hearing as as a headhunter. Comparative to most of the firm, they're crushing it. Fairly in line with street, obviously a bit below but to me this is most indicative that the firm intends to move back up the comp chain, and they've been giving the largest base salary increases across the board for analysts and associates. From what I remember, for most of this century DB has the spot to be for comp - this seems like their strategy is to get back to that status, bodes well for everyone in the shop if they can make it happen.

DB IB (very clear they're taking care of the groups they're focusing on building long-term, the others not so much, base salary % increases much lower than markets across the board - which is interesting).

Analyst 1 - 20k stub Analyst 2 - 40k - 75k Analyst 3 - 45k - 85k Associate 1 - 60k -100k Associate 2 - 75k - 140k

DB Markets (big differences between fixed income and equities, they're coming in above street in a lot of what I'm seeing for fixed income, seeing very wide ranges - highly product dependent. Also, a lot of those with low bonus numbers are reporting 15-20% + base increases, balancing it out).

Analyst 1 - 20 - 25k stub (non-equities seems to be getting an extra 5) Analyst 2 - 20 - 60k Analyst 3 - 27k - 90k Associate 1 - 30k - 110k Associate 2 - 55k - 150k

Interesting seeing how much people tend to value additional base versus bonus, although from other experience that value-edge tends to taper off at around 200k base.

Keep in mind my ranges are controlled for outliers (not putting my guys at risk), and are based on only what I'm seeing.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”