GS Veterans Integration Program (VIP) 2019

I'd like to start the 2019 Veteran Integration Program thread this year. The application just opened up and I plan on applying in the next week few weeks.

Taking this content directly from last year's post - In past years the application entailed an online resume screen, followed by a Hirevue interview with several questions. Successful candidates then went on to a superday before offers were presented in February/March.

Please share your background and desired divisions. I am a current Navy officer separating in the Spring. I plan to attend a target MBA program starting in the Fall of 2019 and recruit for a summer banking associate position. I'll be applying for IBD and potentially Merchant Banking and PWM.

Anyone else looking to apply this year? There is also a networking event going on next week for 2 days, but I have yet to hear anything back from GS regarding whether I was selected. I assume I wasn't, but maybe they haven't finished processing all the applications yet. It was just a basic resume screen with college, major and GPA included.

Thanks for starting the thread, and congrats on your MBA acceptance. I was an Army officer for a short time, got hurt + med-boarded before I could deploy. Don't know how I'm going to be viewed under the circumstances, but I figured that this was worth a shot before I went all-in on cold-emailing. Applying to global investment research, risk and C&C banking.

Regarding the networking event you mentioned, I didn't apply but I think there's a good chance they are still sorting through things. Bear in mind that the VIP Americas application date was pushed off 3 times before it was finally opened.

Thanks for starting the thread. Currently working on my application. I saw the posting on the upcoming networking event. Did not apply considering how tough it is to get pass or short leave for the conference especially for junior enlisted. I am AD Army, over 4 years in (E4)/ Supply logistics/ BS in Economics, 2011/ 2 years financial services entry level gig before Army. Still undecided as to what specific field but will make up my mind by the time and done with the application.

It's definitely targeted toward officers. GS tends to shove enlisted veterans into middle office or ops roles - including those coming from target schools that blow (some) of the officers undergraduate programs out of the water. I wouldn't spend a lot of energy pursuing this route, mostly because even if you're accepted it's unlikely you'll take a seat from some ring knocker who has his eye on IMD or IBD.

It's not totally the firms fault though, this program was shaped by officers for officers.

Most Helpful

This is going to be tough to swing, specifically because in traditional IBD recruiting one of the first screens they do is whether or not you're serious about IBD only (students who put IMD, S&T, and IBD usually get dinged in their apps). The roles you listed in SLC are about as far removed from the front office roles in NYC as you can possibly get. They're not bad roles, but they're just completely different offices, cultures, and the job has basically zero overlap with banking.

For some context, it's helpful to realize that even someone who interns in IBD - and goes through the same summer "training" - can have a very hard time trying to switch industry groups within the division between their internship and a full-time start date. In the situation you're describing, we're not even talking about a hop from the S&T group to industry coverage banking - you're talking about an office some bankers at GS might not even be aware exists. Asking to go IBD will be interpreted as having zero interest in Compliance and Operations, for better or worse.

Having said all that, maybe the vet program is a little more flexible and maybe they understand you're learning to navigate all of this. You just need to weigh the upside and downside of this. Upside is you get a shot at IBD - but it's a very remote upside in this context. Downside is you don't even get a seat in the SLC groups and you're back at square one.

I was and ended up turning it down to attend business school. As you can see I still ended up in finance, albeit at a different firm in a different city but in investment banking. The program is phenomenal. You will learn a ton, be exposed to very interesting and senior folks at GS, and generally have a good time. I think timing from offer from superday was about 1 week, but I can't remember exactly, it wasn't long for sure. Our conversion rate of offers was very high, though many I don't think accepted in favor of business school or other grad programs. Best of luck to all in the process.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”