How hot was the lateral market in 2021?

Trying to lateral to a different bank or even a different group seems pretty tough right now.

I heard a story of a guy who had recently graduated from Baptist College of Florida and was doing corp dev at First Bank of Texas. He was able to lateral to GS TMT in 2021. He then recruited and landed a PE role at KKR. He's a partner now and leads North America PE at KKR. Hearing stories like these just makes me feel like I missed out since I was a college senior in 2021. Now I'm stuck in a group I absolutely hate and having a tough time trying to lateral/move to a new group.

6 Comments
 
Most Helpful

Qui harum sint pariatur consectetur distinctio quae. Architecto tempora voluptatibus quia velit. Illo autem laudantium sed et. Non quia ut rem nam accusantium laboriosam asperiores. Ut officiis consequatur repellendus voluptas quia. Velit porro repellat qui rem praesentium est.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
3
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
4
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
5
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
6
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
7
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
8
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
9
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
10
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”