Worried about IB background check - poor credit (8 late payments + $22.5k charge off)

Hi all, I have 8 late payments, a $20k charge off on an Amex Plat, and another $2.5k charge off on an Amex Gold on my credit report. Both cards were closed by Amex. These were due to financial hardship due to losing my job due to work visa issues (I am a foreigner) and didn't want to ask my parents for help. I have recently repaid everything and cleared all my debts, but am unsure if these records will still be a major red flag that gets a job offer rescinded in the future during credit background checks. Given how strict BB/EBs are these days, does anyone have any experience or insights on whether these records would be an instant dealbreaker that gets an IB offer rescinded despite it having occurred years ago and that everything has already been paid off? For context, I will be pursuing an MBA at Booth under then deferred 2+2 program which means I may matriculate after only getting ~2 years of full-time work experience. I intend to recruit for BB/EB IB at Booth which would be only 2-3 years later. My credit score is currently 510 which should rise by then. My concern is that these records also reflect poor financial responsibility / accountability / risk for the company's safety and am unsure how HR would interpret this. As mentioned, BB/EBs may have these strict black-and-white compliance procedures that HR may have to follow even if they wish to overlook it; not sure what these policies are. Other than that, my background is clean with no criminal record and no bankruptcies / legal action ever taken against me. Would really appreciate any insights, thank you.

Most Helpful

These policies are not black and white. If you repaid it and it was a while ago, you won't have any problem - just have proof of that ready.

Also, when did this happen? It all falls off your credit report after 7 years, but also if you've paid the debt you should be able to negotiate with Amex to delete those from your credit report. Look into it (but don't pay a scammy company to do that for you, you can work directly with Amex).

Bad credit score is just used as a red flag to look into further but is not automatically disqualifying... if you (currently) have a ton of delinquent accounts / are in a huge amount of debt, you may be a risk to the bank. Someone who got in a bad situation years ago and has fully repaid, not an issue. I think you will be fine.

Definitely heard people not passing background checks due to credit, Im pretty sure if you just pay it off and explain the situation then it would be fine.

Ratione repellendus aperiam nihil atque. Ea eveniet illo qui saepe vitae ab rerum ipsum.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners New 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 01 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 24 97.7%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 97.7%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners New 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.9%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners 18 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.7%
  • Moelis & Company 06 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (21) $373
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (148) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”