Just How Bad is 2021 Recruiting This Year?

I just got approached by a really smart student I know who has a 3.9 GPA from a semi-target, a boutique IB and PE internship, and is president of two clubs. This student was late to the game and did not recruit for SA positions and took a boutique PE offer at a fund that never gives return offers. This student told me he has done around 10 IB interviews at primarily boutiques and mm. I have done mocks with this kid, and I know his interview skills are decent though he could be a little more personable and enthusiastic sometimes. This student also has only missed one technical question in all his interviews. This kid also takes networking seriously and told me he talked to over 75 bankers. So I was shocked when he told me he only made the second round in 4/10 IB interviews and only made one super day.

I have also heard other kids like this one struggling to get offers. Is this kid really unlucky or is his story the norm? Is it really that bad out there where saying the right things and knowing technicals does not get you a second round this FT cycle? If so, I feel really sorry for the class of 2021 and hope bankers will give you a fair chance if you do not break into IB this cycle.

I would also like to hear how the SA cycle was this year compared to previous years. Did qualified people not get offers due to limited spots?

What do you contribute this to? Banks taking smaller analyst classes? I assumed big BB's wouldn't really be affected.

Yup very disappointed with SA this year but it is what it is. Can't change anything now. At a semi, had a 3.7, one botique IB internship, one VC internship, one WM internship at a BB. Networked hard too with alumni. Had 3 first rounds and thats it. Weird because a lot of my network contacts told me they pushed my resume and I expected a lot more interviews, or maybe they just lied lol. Or maybe HR was extra strict on who to give out interviews to because of smaller intern classes? 

No one knows what 2022 recruiting will be like. I imagine it will be better for FT. If the economy improves faster than banks expect, they will hire more in 2022.

same here although i am not as  a competitive candidate and go to non target, had 7 1st round never got passed to second

As far as I can tell, this year's SA recruiting has been an absolute shit show. I go to a target (no super target though) and I have a 3.9 with relevant extracurriculars, I networked with 40+ alumni, and I had an internship at a Fortune 100 company this summer. I still barely got an offer of the waitlist for the last spot at an MM bank. From what I heard, my back cut its SA class by close to 40%. I had three other Superdays (one was AM though), and I got rejected from one and still waiting to hear from the other two even though it's been over a month. I expected to have a lot better luck...

It’s been perceptibly bad this year, and speaking with alumni seems to confirm my suspicions that the economy ain’t doing well. 

Stats: Target school, GPA 3.8+, Diversity candidate (in diversity track as applicable), boutique VC and PE internship.  

Made super days at MS, GS, Citi, BNP, + few MMs, and got rejected at hirevue stage (wtf right) at other BBs... still rejected

Array

At my bank, it is rare to get an offer through FT recruiting without IB, PE, or VC type internships. I imagine other banks are the same way. I would aim to get an offcyle IB or PE internship before FT recruiting. I think most banks already took the bad economic conditions into account with the SA class. If the economy improves more than anticipated, there could be quite a few FT spots, but I would still expect stiff competition due to a large amount of people who normally would have gotten offers who were left empty handed due to COVID.

Et aspernatur corporis quaerat nihil repudiandae dolor corrupti. Nulla rerum aut velit tempora itaque. Est laboriosam est quis nihil. Neque corporis omnis exercitationem maxime et tempore voluptatum. Sit aut ut ut ipsum odit debitis.

Array

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”