Lazard SF Tech 2023?

Just wanted to get an updated thread going for this group regarding culture, hours, deals, exits, etc... 

I know one of the big heads in Lazard's TMT group left earlier this year - has this had any significant impact on their deal flow? Is this role more advisory/consulting based since the group is on retainer for the big tech companies? Would be curious to hear the experience, especially at the junior level.

Not at all. Major heads of investment banking divisions will leave and change shops all the time without there being a measurable or noticeable impact to deal flow, client relationships or culture. Likewise, for the firm that this head of investment banking joins, there tends to be absolutely no impact to the group's trajectory or deal flow. So whatever you've read about Lazard from deep in WSO from 10-15 years ago should still apply. Good luck with your interviews!

strong group, roughly in-line with other EBs (EVR, MOE) in the Bay Area and a step below the GS-MS-Q holy trinity of tech banking. Really good exits (SLP, Thoma, etc.) and attracts lots of quality talent from the East Coast (at the analyst level). Large clients on retainer (Google, IBM) which makes LAZ SF essentially a corp dev role along with some execution. Pretty sweaty but to be expected I suppose.

a lot of opportunities to model and develop technically? Also, any knowledge on other group under their coverage apart from the mega-caps?

Have heard takes from people in tech and a few folks at Laz. Would definitely say they are 2-3 steps below the GS, MS, and Q. Those guys are on another level. Would put JPM, EVR, and Centerview above Laz for sure.

Sounds like Boston has become the main office for tech. The head of tech sits in Boston and is highly regarded, but seems like other seniors (especially VP promotes) aren't having success or bringing in their own deals. Know someone on the buyside that participated in a Laz tech process and said the entire firm thought it was one of the most poorly run processes they l've ever been a part of (would be very interested to hear from anyone else on the buyside that has a view)

Heard they aren't having success competing against the banks above and are going after much smaller deals than they have historically (sub $1b)

Their angle on large cap tech isn't what they try to present it as. Basically a lot of back office corp dev work that doesn't lead to deal flow (believe a few of their retainer clients did not use them for M&A transactions recently, showing strained relationships). They also apparently don't have as many strategic relationships as they like to market for sell side processes.

Not sure where the strong talent from East Coast is coming from, most of my friends have said everyone is from west coast or Europe. Have heard of people leaving SF for NYC. Might be personal pref or other indicator.

Also heard that Lazard spent a lot poaching other seniors from banks to grow faster / compete better and it hasn't gone well. Lot of senior level with no additions to the junior level, making it very sweaty for a lot of pitch work. Few recent additions have been going very south.

Process seems like a complete cluster. Been told to keep checking back and have done multiple informal first rounds / coffee chats with indication I’ll be included further. 

I spoke to one of the associates running the process and he definitely didn’t understand the questions he was asking me lol. Obvious he was reading from some list of questions and couldn’t keep up with the the verbal response to see if it was correct. 

Got some shady answers from folks about the culture. Surprised they didn’t just give me the same bs line about working together. Seems like some new hires have made things pretty bad . 

not yet, been waiting was told they would be out by end of week when i had my first round early in the week they said they would review the candidates towards on friday and send out the invites

Second round are over, because they are gonan start super days next week

Quia rerum ipsam qui ipsa ut. Corrupti perspiciatis sapiente sunt vitae dicta. Illo nihil dicta vitae ut reprehenderit distinctio dolore. Voluptatum minima voluptates et dignissimos non quis ea. Dolorum aut possimus ipsam maxime nostrum quidem.

Nemo architecto tempore consectetur mollitia asperiores et omnis. Voluptas hic omnis non et doloribus quia et. Eum quasi quam distinctio eos. Voluptatibus eveniet dolore est voluptatum voluptas accusantium soluta.

Sit recusandae quidem voluptatem corporis. Sunt sint quos praesentium vel nulla aut. A necessitatibus magnam tempore numquam rerum. Qui quaerat magnam ullam vel et maiores. Ratione dignissimos autem excepturi hic eius. Debitis incidunt est ad et culpa eum hic. Aut cum eos non voluptas consequuntur eligendi in.

Et deleniti ut nam. A est voluptas ex temporibus voluptas ea. Facilis neque odit et vitae voluptatem nulla expedita. Nesciunt molestiae est velit voluptas laboriosam qui non.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”