Moelis Class of 2018 Today

Note: US offices only / there were ~15 or so folks I couldn't find, which this excludes. 

Analysts: 47

• Remaining Analyst / A2A: 6

• Private Equity Tier 1 (megafunds and well known middle market): 9

• Private Equity Tier 2 (solid middle market): 10

• Private Equity Tier 3 (unknown funds): 8

• Corporate Development: 5

• Other Investment Banking: 2

• Hedge Funds: 2

• Other: 5

Associates: 21

• Remaining: 13

• Corporate Development: 5

• Other Investment Banking: 3

why do you think such a large proportion of people went to tier 3 unknown funds? I'm sure this also happens at GS/MS/EVR.

Wouldn't it just be better to recruit as an AN3, or even A2A than jump the gun and go to a not-so great PE firm?

Dont think their comment was roast worthy. Coming as someone who never was in banking/PE I was curious about this myself...

Obviously lifestyle is a big factor when looking at any employment opportunity, would imagine folks who went through a rigorous analyst program such as Moelis would care a lot about ROI on hours worked which is generally lower on LMM PE firms, despite having less hours.

Ive always wondered how hard/competitive PE recruiting actually is coming from a bank like Moelis and think that is more of what this comment is referring to.

Controversial

Lifestyle is not a big factor for Moelis analysts - they signed with Moelis and knew what they were signing up for.

Personally I agree with the original comment: ~11/60 (OP mentioned they couldn't find 15) to MF/UMM/HF is lower than one might think given all the dick sucking for EBs on WSO. Maybe give the benefit of the doubt and assume only analysts who ended up in PE wanted to do PE, then you have 9/27 to MF & UMM PE combined (but doesn't include the 15 analysts OP couldn't find, A2A's, Corp Dev etc. who might also have wanted to do PE).

Curious to see this type of data for other EBs and even BBs (or BB groups). This kind of data-driven research is exactly what shuts up the stupid prestige posts and misinformation on this forum. Thanks OP.

Such an ignorant comment lmao. Maybe they just wanted to work there or aren't prestige whores?

Or maybe this is a natural distribution of outcomes.  Not everyone who goes to Harvard ends up at GS and guess what not every who works at Moelis ends up at a Tier 1 place.

After working at moelis, i think a lot of people start to realize "prestige" isn't worth as much as most people think. Work life balance becomes so much more important, and complete respect to those who end up working comfy corporate roles

Array

I think the first comment on this isn't actually that ignorant... I think people tend to have a laser focus on getting to PE asap starting out at Moelis and I think some of the corporate dev exits and/or kids still hanging in there as 3rd year analysts will be better off in the long run than those who jump after a year to a LMM fund... but the fomo is really strong and when headhunters call, you answer lol 

This. Prestige (generally) matters the most to those who have yet to attain it. The people I know at the top of the prestige totem pole seem to really not care about it much. You'd be surprised how many guys will go from EB / BB banks to small shops if they like the team and the work they do.

At the end of the day, "prestige" is just a form of currency. Currency that you hope to one day be able to exchange for either higher comp, more responsibilities, etc. The goal of attaining prestige is not to endlessly accumulate more prestige. Prestige opens doors early on in your career. It shouldn't dictate your every move.

This is obvious to most in the workforce.

Sometimes the unknown funds are like spin offs of top funds. They are unknown at first but they become known

Don’t think anyone was balding in my class. Think balding might be a bit more genetic related for some ppl. Had a good friend in college who was balding already in his teens/early twenties. Had a pretty chill life but that was just the hand he was dealt in life

Change your name. I just found you on LinkedIn in a second. 

bit weird you go to the hassle of searching peoples names from wso on linkedin

MoCo may end up merging with Yotta Savings. Great savings bank! Might grow into a full-service bank too!

only 2 went to a hedge fund, is this typical of IB classes? and is this more of a function of lack of interest or competition? 

Depends on IB. Some more RX groups prob do more HF. MC bread and butter when I was there was MM PE deals so naturally plenty of people went to work in MM PE

OP – for the tier 1 private equity placements, did you notice if any of these people worked closely with any specific groups? As a generalist, do you think there are certain industry groups that having strong exposure to can give you a leg up in MF PE recruiting?

Thanks.

OP: A few comments / responses

- agreed would be fun to post an update 5, 10 years down the road... 

- this was the class after the staffer email (Ken responded by arguably overhiring at the analyst level)

- the "no name" shops we're quite frankly ones that I had just never heard of.. some of them are probably great places to work with solid comp, but any good MM shop I put solidly into tier 2 (i've heard of most MM funds tbh)

- in terms of things that led to qualify exits, I think I'm about to say something unexpected, which is just don't settle.. some of the best exits out of the class came well over a year into the job or even two.. I felt such a sense of fear when on-cycle kicked off back in October of 2018, but it was unwarranted 

- I don't think group placement mattered much, but do focus on being good at your job and building good relationships with people you work with and the opportunities will come

would you say the better exits were due to analysts being better prepared than the ones that went on cycle? if so, do you have any thoughts on delaying on cycle your first year?

Well depends. For on cycle recruiting it basically happens so early that it’s more or less just a continuation of on campus recruiting so not much prep done while in banking it seems

Would think it’s good to take things slow in general with work and job stuff. Slow and steady wins the race

For what it’s worth; I think I know the staffer who sent out that email that made its rounds in the media. Before he was asked to take on the staffer job, he might have been the nicest/best VP to work with at the firm. Just a tough job trying to be the one focal point for like 100 MDs trying to get access to one big pool of analysts for some of the more grunty type work they need to do for the firm’s clients. 

Prob as MC grows some of the pressure on the staffers can be eliminated as maybe they can dedicate analysts to more specialized pools somewhat while still maintaining the generalist program

For what it’s worth, I think most of my class (entered summer 2015 or so) went on to PE or equivalent. All solid shops. Some went on to Corp Dev others to HF or like other finance related stuff. Some have gone on to bschool by now. Maybe 1 or 2 still at Moelis. I think one guy is a VP there now. Prob some kids on their way; if not already, making top of industry pay days and others with top of industry WLB. All solid stuff. Def think Moelis does a nice job of helping new people with their careers whether it means staying at MC or other places or leaving industry. Have had plenty of senior and junior people there actively try to help me with my career whether it be get be interviews, discuss stuff, work with me, etc. def nice that it’s a team place, kinda all like part of the Moelis fam to some extent. Friendly, solid culture. 

Eius ut distinctio accusamus illo sequi accusantium enim. Ut ducimus exercitationem sit non quia quia deleniti doloribus. Eaque dolores quidem itaque incidunt officia. Adipisci aut placeat necessitatibus placeat quo. Vero quae nihil in in eum consequatur. Ullam harum sed quis dolorum eos eum animi. Aperiam dolores facilis omnis veniam officia.

Aliquam quisquam minus praesentium autem. Blanditiis omnis repudiandae incidunt maxime non. Eaque alias voluptas nihil beatae sint.

Dolores qui similique dolorem et. Eligendi enim aut quia minima a. Expedita quibusdam aliquam assumenda voluptas repudiandae id. Recusandae possimus dolor voluptatem corporis dignissimos vel.

Magnam quaerat qui ut voluptas ipsum. Earum suscipit odio rem accusamus sit quis aliquam. Vel dolorem aut aut. Totam et consectetur eos. Rem quia consequuntur eius quas est. Consequatur aut rerum animi fugit voluptatem provident libero.

Est modi quis qui rerum. Ut maiores architecto nulla commodi. Ratione voluptas est id repellendus nihil. Qui ea aperiam perspiciatis quia velit omnis quibusdam. Ut reprehenderit est dolores non neque qui.

Voluptatibus cum et earum fugiat expedita. Quasi ullam omnis dolor assumenda rerum consequatur. Saepe porro atque non molestias. Placeat ea beatae sapiente molestias.

Ipsum ratione consequatur odio facilis. Ullam ut et repellat non placeat assumenda aut. Enim doloribus qui excepturi et facere rerum non. Vero sed exercitationem magnam eius odio quia cumque.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”