So long as all GPAs on your resume are listed to the same significant figure (as they should be, especially for banking), always abide by the following unless explicitly told to do otherwise:

NR's Theorem of Optimal GPA Rounding: -A monkey should decide the decimal format of his/her GPAs on a resume such that the sum of all GPAs listed makes the following formula greater than or equal to zero: (format used) - (alternative format)

Citation.

“Millionaires don't use astrology, billionaires do”

money money money money:

This theorem is retarded...so when ever you can round up, do so...?

No, it's for when you have multiple GPAs listed (major, cumulative, prior school, etc.). It doesn't say always round up, it says round up if the cumulative difference between the two formats is minimized, otherwise don't. Also, you should be careful about throwing stones like "retarded" around given that you asked the initial glass-house of a question, Einstein.

Hi, I have a related question. I had omething like a 3.5 gpa for my junior-senior year, and a 2.8 the fresh-soph, with a graduate gpa of 3.0. Is it acceptable to put my last two years GPA on resume and put something like "GPA 2008-2009": 3.5. I realize this may be stupid question but there was a huge contrast between my first two years and last two years of undergrad.

money money money money:

can you guys just say yes or no? I don't understand why you have to give people such a hard time

because its the same answer as blondes or brunettes?

whatever you fucking prefer sherlock.

Best Response
money money money money:

can you guys just say yes or no? I don't understand why you have to give people such a hard time

Don't be offended by them giving you a hard time. Just think about what you are bringing up here.

You are asking such a relatively minor question about a .03 GPA difference. I am not saying that I don't believe in my last post. 3.8 is that much better than a 3.77, so don't lie about what you actually got. But I do realize that most of these guys are working hard throughout the day, if not into the late night hours, so the last thing they want to do is respond to someone asking about their GPA.

Do you really think they would enjoy dealing with recruiting and students trying to use them for networking after having worked for a very long time?

I'm sure many of them respect the importance of networking and the recruiting process, but it doesn't change the fact that it is probably an unpleasant addition to their already strenuous work requirements.

I'm just telling it as it is. Have some respect and and understanding of people who you are asking for advice.

-- And your name is "money money money money" so what do you expect.... that gives the impression that you don't exactly have your priorities straight for why you are choosing to go into the industry. You are far from the only one with that issue, but I believe that is one of the biggest negatives to finance as a whole; people who go into the industry just for the money have unrealistic expectations and are not going into finance for the right reasons. A genuine interest, more times than not, will get you farther and make your more successful and deserving.

money money money money:

I gave you formula kiddo, if you can't understand how that's better than a yes/no answer, then you don't belong in banking.

frozencheese:

3.8 is a lie. You got a 3.77 not a 3.8

Holy fuck, I seriously hope you're joking...

Nouveau Richie:
money money money money:

I gave you formula kiddo, if you can't understand how that's better than a yes/no answer, then you don't belong in banking.

frozencheese:

3.8 is a lie. You got a 3.77 not a 3.8

Holy fuck, I seriously hope you're joking...

There is nothing holy about it, I am not joking. I am not saying that the Street agrees with me, but you are in fact lying if you add onto your GPA. I wouldn't do it. I feel like a 3.77 is good enough where I wouldn't have to round. 3.8 is greater than a 3.77 simply because it is higher, obviously. But a 3.77 is very solid, so why is it necessary to round it?

At a certain point, for people with high GPAs, your exact GPA doesn't matter anymore. What matters is what else you actually bring to the table. AKA what is actually important for the job. GPA is a filter, but everything else is the reality for what quality of a worker you are.

So instead of debating whether a nice GPA (3.77) should be turned into a bit of a nicer GPA (3.8) by adding GPA points that you didn't get, how about "you"=the OP=any person wondering this spend time on improving the other qualities, thereby actually improving what really matters for eventually being an effective and successful worker.

What about rounding a major GPA up by .1 (like 3.6 to 3.7), do they ever actually check it (calculating a major GPA instead of just looking at cumulative on transcript)? I have 2 majors, one is 0.1 above my cumulative and 1 is 0.1 below and I thought you were only supposed to list majors if they were both at least equal to your cumulative.

ChrisHansen:

What about rounding a major GPA up by .1 (like 3.6 to 3.7), do they ever actually check it (calculating a major GPA instead of just looking at cumulative on transcript)? I have 2 majors, one is 0.1 above my cumulative and 1 is 0.1 below and I thought you were only supposed to list majors if they were both at least equal to your cumulative.

Like I already mentioned, I can't say that the majority of people working in finance would agree with me, but you are taking an even bigger jump than the OP. I really don't think you are justified in adding an additional .1.

And in terms of the major GPA, I think you are only supposed to put it down if it is much higher than the cumulative. Meaning the actual major GPA you got, not what you rounded it up a full .1 to, is much better than your cumulative.

Nostrum voluptatem cum labore aut. Consequatur autem expedita deleniti commodi. Quia qui nihil dolor nihil asperiores veritatis commodi. Tempora labore et officia cupiditate.

Architecto fugit porro numquam ipsam. Aliquid explicabo sint impedit saepe eveniet.

Voluptatibus magnam adipisci illo velit. Ut debitis est inventore facere quod laboriosam ducimus. Consequatur eum eos modi et ipsum beatae laudantium. Possimus repellat quo delectus. Dolorum ut exercitationem vel.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”