Would you rather work 35 hours weekly making 150k in corpdev or 65-70 hours weekly making 300k in IB?

Assume the 65-70 hr / week job is something like IB
Assume the 35 hr / week job is something like corpdev

Saw another post like this, but realized few people actually work more than 70 hr / week in IB regularly

Would you rather work 35 hours weekly making 150k in corpdev or 65-70 hours weekly making 300k in IB?

65-70 hr making 300k in IB
60% (199 votes)
35 hr making 150k in CorpDev
40% (130 votes)
Total votes: 329

By the time someone is able to make 300k in ib, then they’d likely already be past Aso2, at which that point they should be experienced and efficient enough to generally only need to work 60-65 hours on average, maybe less if they have good analysts 

Most Helpful

Yes in theory, but in reality I think some VPs work just as much and sometimes more than analysts. Certainly no VPs working 60-65hrs at my bank, IMO it's the hardest level and then the hours drop significantly at director. You lose all weekend/vacation protections, are put on a huge number of deals and still expected to check them all (often with new AN/ASO who don't know what is going on), and are expected to generate revenue, sometimes through new clients you're sourcing yourself, since the MDs aren't going to give you their book.

Not sure it's relevant to the question, but there's a big 3-5 year chunk in there where work becomes very hard and turnover is huge. Beyond that it's a decent life

Isn’t pay and general progression much slower in corp? Heard from a friend that his base salary only increases by 2-3% each year until he gets promoted, which could take years, but maybe that’s just one data point, not sure how others pay 

Wow I’d be more curious to hear what Corp pay increases look like or if the 2-3% increases are the norm 

A majority of jobs people have besides sell-side/buy-side finance jobs/lawyers/doctors are only 2%-5% pay increases every year excluding years when someone gets a promotion. I love all of you bankers (me being a banker) but just member to come back down to reality at some point when it comes to comp, also helps with realizing how good you have things sometimes too.

Funniest

I am a director at a LMM shop. Around 800mm aum. I'm basically second in charge. My comp is 200k base, ends up around 250-275k all in. .y comp is low, I'm in a tier 3 city, but I honestly work 35 hours a week and play videos most of the day from home. Lol

I am a director at a LMM shop. Around 800mm aum. I'm basically second in charge. My comp is 200k base, ends up around 250-275k all in. .y comp is low, I'm in a tier 3 city, but I honestly work 35 hours a week and play videos most of the day from home. Lol

Is this LMM pe? 

What is the difference between corpdev and ib? Isn’t corpdev just ib for 1 company? Why is the pay so different? 

Pe is also like that though, imagine an LMM or VC group: no pitching, no industry slides etc

If the goal is working low hours for above $150k then why didn't you guys just go into tech back in college

I struggle to believe people who go into finance are in it to work low hours and make little money. Best options are to work few hours and make lots of money. Then work lots of hours make lots of money. Then work low hours and make decent money. That’s all though 

How much were you getting in corpdev and what position, and what made you want to move to a role that doubled the hours for the same pay? That's essentially like taking a 50% pay decrease no?

Ab consectetur molestiae officiis quidem dolor dignissimos quia error. Officia dolor aspernatur veritatis quia et quos eos. Nisi et nam impedit facere repudiandae nesciunt. Sit ut nesciunt ea culpa.

Nesciunt cumque qui aut ut iure. Consequatur error libero inventore nisi voluptate debitis modi. Soluta aut nisi iusto praesentium sint deleniti.

Et consequatur sunt doloribus totam sed. Nulla qui itaque nihil autem porro numquam consequatur. Porro quis in dolor veniam fuga inventore deserunt. Error ad quia minus blanditiis. Vero quisquam sint in saepe velit eos.

Beatae eum aliquam non molestiae nemo sed sit. Ut consequuntur deleniti nam incidunt nihil. Et corporis et ea aliquam sequi cumque est. Sed sint alias consectetur aut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”