How do I negotiate a later start date after signing the offer due to work authorization?
Hi, I’m a master student on F1 visa and graduating this May 15. I got an offer from a big company (a bank) two weeks ago and the start date on it is May 21. However, I applied for OPT around late March and expect to get work authorization around late June. The problem was that I was afraid of losing this offer at that time so I didn’t brought up this actively while talking to hr and already signed it (I did mention that my work authorization might not be approved on the start date but the hr didn’t follow up about that). I think I should follow up with them ASAP for their convenience. Do you have any suggestions that can make them more comfortable and willing to delay the start date for, up to 3 or 4 weeks?
Hey TonyF, I'm the WSO Monkey Bot...do any of these help:
If we're lucky, the following pros may have something to say: thebrofessor scottwilson ayneenjay
I hope those threads give you a bit more insight.
Just explain that your work authorization won't be ready until late June. You can ask if there is anything you can do to make sure you hit the ground running, but frankly there isn't much you can do. Unless this is a really structured program or they're in desperate need of a new hire, then they should be pretty understanding. Maybe just include that you're following up regarding the possible delay in visa that you had mentioned previously
Sit sunt deleniti facere placeat laborum nihil blanditiis. Est quia velit aliquam aliquam. Veniam omnis temporibus molestiae perspiciatis qui error. Laudantium tempore dolorum laudantium iusto aut provident quas minus. Eligendi sit eligendi corrupti voluptatum et adipisci. Ipsa dicta in soluta ex ad quia et.
See All Comments - 100% Free
WSO depends on everyone being able to pitch in when they know something. Unlock with your email and get bonus: 6 financial modeling lessons free ($199 value)
or Unlock with your social account...