Title vs. Salary? 2024

Trying to get everyone's views on title vs. salary? What is more important? 

Currently get paid title above mine but don't have the title/got passed for it because I also stupidly didn't ask for the promo.

Should I jump ship? A bit irritated by the no title promotion, although the salary is clearly better than some others above me in title.

Am i being stupid and just thinking with my ego - lol?

Ah, the age-old debate of title versus salary! It's like choosing between a shiny new nameplate on your desk or a heavier wallet. Let's break it down based on the most helpful WSO content and insights from the community:

1. Salary Speaks Volumes: At the end of the day, your bank account balance is a pretty tangible measure of your career progress. Higher pay often reflects the value your company places on your contributions, regardless of the title attached to your name. It's the fuel for your financial goals, be it saving, investing, or splurging on that dream vacation.

2. Titles and Their Weight: Titles can be a bit of a double-edged sword. On one hand, a senior title can open doors, make your LinkedIn profile more attractive, and give you a sense of progression. On the other hand, titles without the corresponding pay or responsibility might just be empty accolades. Remember, in some cases, titles at startups can be inflated as a form of non-cash compensation.

3. The Promotion Snub: It's understandable to feel slighted for not receiving a promotion in title, especially if you're outperforming peers who hold that title. It's not just about ego; it's about recognition and the potential impact on your future career trajectory. However, if your salary is competitive or even superior, it indicates that your contributions are indeed valued.

4. Jumping Ship: Before considering this drastic step, weigh your current situation. Are you gaining valuable experience? Is the work environment conducive to your growth? If the title is crucial for your next career move, it might be worth having a candid conversation with your superiors about your career aspirations and the mismatch between your responsibilities and title.

5. Ego vs. Practicality: It's human nature to seek recognition and status, but it's also wise to look at the bigger picture. In the grand scheme, what will propel you closer to your long-term goals? Sometimes, a strategic compromise on title can lead to greater opportunities down the line.

In conclusion, based on insights from the WSO community, both salary and title have their place in shaping your career. It's about finding the right balance for your personal and professional growth. If the lack of title is a sticking point for you, consider addressing it directly with your management. After all, clear communication is key in navigating career paths. Remember, it's not just about thinking with your ego; it's about aligning your career with your goals and values.

Sources: Would you take a step down in title & pay for dream job?, "Don't worry about pay at the start." - Do you agree?, Why You Should Reject that Start-Up Job, Math PhD to IB (M&A), Is Investment Banking Paid Slavery?

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Labore nihil dolor ipsa necessitatibus saepe. Suscipit cupiditate cupiditate rem quia ea impedit. Rerum id voluptas animi quam minima. Nisi amet quos voluptas alias enim accusamus. Sed minus maiores vel quibusdam aut nulla ipsa.

Ratione laborum dolores beatae esse ut quibusdam. Temporibus qui dolor ea ipsum. Voluptatem pariatur aut molestias minima.

Itaque nostrum suscipit eligendi enim repellat dolor. Quam qui nihil nostrum omnis. Aperiam aut odit velit nulla voluptatem pariatur neque. Accusantium a voluptate sequi quia aut et nulla qui.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”