Does your school have an alumni network? I'm sure you can find contacts in New York, either through that or LinkedIn. As you are coming form the UK to Wall Street and not from one of the big 3, I doubt too many people will contact the NYC alumni, and so they'll be impressed you have taken the initiative, and you can likely leverage their networks further. Also, see if people you know in the UK can put you in touch with guys in America - that might be a good connection. Being introduced is a great way to build your network.

Best Response

She_Monkey you're actually wrong about US working in UK. It's very easy for UK employers in finance to get work permits for foreign nationals actually. Also if you have a masters/MBA and earn over £25000 you can usually qualify for a highly skilled worker visa. (I'm American and in the UK so I'm pretty clued up on all this!)

OP: I have two friends who interned at Lehman in NYC (doesn't help much now I know!), one was at Cambridge and the other at UCL. The Cambridge one is not American so must have been able to get a visa somehow. The UCL one has an American parent so has a US passport but did her education from age 10 in the UK. However your biggest problem is going to be that even if you get a FT offer, the company may not be able to secure the visa necessary for you to return to the US. If I were you I'd focus on the UK, especially since as you are already aware no one has heard of Warwick in the States, but it has a very good reputation for banks in London.

I'm also slightly skeptical about your S&T experience. In the UK students can do all of these week-long "internships" or Spring programs. These are not usually offered in the US and no one at an American bank is going to consider that legitimate experience. The only reason it's done in the UK is to make up for the fact that in a 3 year degree you only have 2 summers to intern. I can't imagine you've been able to get more experience than that as Warwick isn't close enough to London for you to be able to intern during the academic year.

fp175:
I'm also slightly skeptical about your S&T experience. In the UK students can do all of these week-long "internships" or Spring programs. These are not usually offered in the US and no one at an American bank is going to consider that legitimate experience. The only reason it's done in the UK is to make up for the fact that in a 3 year degree you only have 2 summers to intern. I can't imagine you've been able to get more experience than that as Warwick isn't close enough to London for you to be able to intern during the academic year.

One of the them will be a S&T summer internship. Rest are 1 - 2 week programmes. GS Securities, unlike other spring programmes, was paid and we got project work etc, even though it was only 10 days long.

I'm interested in NY, but that isn't too say I'm neglecting London. Infact, before summer recruiting starts, I may already have secured one or more London offers. I just seek the challenge and experience of NY.

Brown_Bateman:

One of the them will be a S&T summer internship. Rest are 1 - 2 week programmes. GS Securities, unlike other spring programmes, was paid and we got project work etc, even though it was only 10 days long.

I'm interested in NY, but that isn't too say I'm neglecting London. Infact, before summer recruiting starts, I may already have secured one or more London offers. I just seek the challenge and experience of NY.

Like I said, American students don't do Spring programs. You're going to be competing against people who did 2 full summer internships in banking plus 1 in another field after their 1st year. I wouldn't cling to those and think that's going to make you hugely competitive, especially because of the lack of university name recognition.

By all means give it a shot though. I don't mean to discourage you, but you need to be realistic - especially now with constraints on visas, it will be LEGALLY difficult for you to get a place right now. Limiting recruitment of foreigners is a condition of TARP. Several of my friends in London want to move to the US and can't figure a way to do so - and these are people working in banking and consulting with 2 years post-MSc work experience.

fp175:
However your biggest problem is going to be that even if you get a FT offer, the company may not be able to secure the visa necessary for you to return to the US.

Does that mean it'd be easier for banks to secure a visa for summer??

fp175:
no one has heard of Warwick in the States, but it has a very good reputation for banks in London

I'm a student at UCL. Have people heard of it in the US??

PierreSonne:

Does that mean it'd be easier for banks to secure a visa for summer??

I really don't know. I'd have to ask my friend how he managed it. Most foreign students interning in NYC are students at American universities, so they are allowed to work during the summer on a student visa.

PierreSonne:
I'm a student at UCL. Have people heard of it in the US??

After Oxbridge and LSE it's probably the next most known university, or maybe Imperial. Most Americans don't think very hard about foreign universities thought.

Modi et dolorem natus. Architecto veritatis exercitationem corporis iusto facilis molestiae adipisci. Dolor temporibus quas numquam. Ut molestiae laborum nostrum nihil qui.

Quia eveniet nihil quis dolorum. Officia sed quis suscipit in magnam maxime rerum. Quasi eum molestias rerum exercitationem rerum. Aut nulla accusamus possimus velit illo repellat veniam. Cum cumque tempora autem quod.

Aliquam amet molestiae exercitationem laboriosam et animi ipsum. Rerum aperiam velit illum perferendis quasi dolores qui et. Sit aut ut rem hic eius. Id dolorem quos corrupti dolor id quia vel. Laborum corrupti ipsum et sed est. Rerum et consequuntur et velit explicabo. Quaerat aut ducimus reiciendis voluptatem repellat at autem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”