What am I doing wrong? SA 2024

Been an awful recruiting cycle for me. For springs last year I got more traction - only managed a couple phone interviews this year since summer, but I they seem to write me off whenever I try to show off my general knowledge by answering brain teasers without any working out ( I memorised them all)

Thinking of throwing in the towel and applying next cycle, when I will leverage my family connections that I ignored this year.

For context here is my experience:

• MCD Capital Analyst

• Sameer Merchant 2-day technicals course

• Cambridge University Netball Team starter

thanks in advance

Based on the most helpful WSO content, it sounds like you've had a tough time with the recruiting cycle, but don't lose hope just yet. Here are a few pointers that might help you improve your approach:

1. Over-Reliance on Memorization: While it's impressive to have brain teasers memorized, interviewers often look for your thought process rather than just the answer. They want to see how you approach problems, so next time, try to walk them through your reasoning, even if you know the answer by heart.

2. Networking: You mentioned considering leveraging family connections next cycle. While it's good to have that as an option, don't wait until next cycle to start networking. Continue to build relationships in the industry now. Networking can often be more influential than just your resume.

3. Experience: Your experience is solid, with a Spring Internship at PIMCO and being a Capital Analyst at MCD. Make sure you can speak in depth about what you learned and accomplished in these roles during interviews.

4. Skills Development: The Sameer Merchant 2-day technicals course is a great start, but continuous learning and skill development are key. Consider taking more courses or certifications that are relevant to the roles you're applying for.

5. Extracurriculars: Being part of the Cambridge University Netball Team is excellent. It shows teamwork and dedication. Highlight how the skills you've gained from being a team player can translate into the workplace.

6. Reflect and Refine: Take some time to reflect on the feedback you've received, if any, from your interviews. Use this to refine your interview technique and ensure you're not coming across as too rehearsed or disingenuous.

7. Persistence: The recruiting process can be disheartening, but persistence is key. Keep applying, keep learning, and keep reaching out. Your efforts will pay off in the long run.

Remember, recruiting is a marathon, not a sprint. It's about finding the right fit for both you and the employer. Keep your chin up, and don't throw in the towel just yet. You've got this!

Sources: Would appreciate some advice, What will FT Recruiting look like this year?, The Ups and Downs of Recruiting, A Guide on How to Navigate On-Cycle PE Recruiting, How to Navigate FT Recruiting: Learn from My Successes/Failures

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Pimco isn’t really a spring, everyone can do this. Only MCD can count as a real work experience (I assume it’s some kind of student run investment fund / research group). Other than that, there’s no real work experience

If I’m understanding you (lmk if not) you’re saying that when given brainteasers instead of reasoning through them and showing your thought process you’ve just been giving the answer since you’ve memorized them? If that is true then no wonder you’re not getting traction. The point of brainteasers is to show your problem solving skills and thought process. Even if you memorized the answer you need to walk people through the process of getting to that answer. No one is hiring you for your general knowledge at this stage.

Funniest

Don’t give up. I was in a similar position but after completing the 8 week Sameer Merchant, CFA investment banking internship course (only £3500 - I paid) I was able to receive a full time offer for a top 3 BB (think Nationwide/Tesco/Co-op Funeral care). Good luck!

Non perferendis inventore vero quae ipsa. Quos culpa voluptatum sunt quod id aut. Unde tempore ea aliquid sed quis qui. Dolore facere reiciendis ut et. Est rerum amet esse omnis voluptate fugiat eaque. Quia voluptatibus et dolor dignissimos adipisci architecto.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”