Budget for 100k salary in Manhattan

Just accepted consulting job offer (100k base salary) and now I'm deciding whether I want to live in NYC or in NJ after graduation.  I know I can "afford" NYC, but I also am aware of how much expenses can pile up, and I do want to save a solid amount for long-term goals (down payment, retirement, etc.) because housing/retirement is not cheap and I want to set myself up well. Given the insane tax rates, what would a budget look like in NYC? I know a bunch of you all live/have lived there, so I'm sure you have experiences (that's why I ask on this thread).  I aim to save 2k/month and do not intend to get a car.  How much do you spend on subway passes, utilities, groceries, etc. in NYC?

Most Helpful

on 100k, max your 401k contributions (19.5k p.a.) and you should have ~5k take home monthly. Budget anywhere from 1.5 - 2.3k for rent (find a roommate or two, IMO it isn't worth saving 200 or 300 bucks a month if you have to live in a shithole vs. a nice doorman building with amenities), 1.5k for monthly discretionary spending, and save the rest. 19.5k pretax 401k savings + ~15k post tax savings p.a. on base is solid. 

Utilities anywhere from $50/100 per person, subway can be $50 - whatever the monthly pass is nowadays depending on how frequently you use it, groceries can be $150 - $400 depending on how often you cook for yourself, etc. Eating out will likely be a big part of budget, but depending on if your firm expenses weeknight dinners, you can comfortably go out on weekends and still be fine

Hmm if you @parmesan123123 are a girl, avoid having roommates. Chicks r crazy and you don't want a random ass dude in your apartment. Live in NJ (like Newark) and commute to NYC

It’s very doable to live in Manhattan on 100k base. Keep rent w/ utilities at or below 2k ideally. With 401k maxed you’ll still have plenty of budget for fun and groceries and a nice gym membership. Feel free to save the last few hundred each month for rainy day (or a vacation lol) and you’ll still have employer 401k match and a bonus to look forward to. No sweat, just make sure you either have a bunch of savings or family support for the first month getting on your feet. Security deposit + first month’s rent + waiting a few weeks for your first paycheck which goes straight out the window for second month’s rent is brutal lol. After the first month working you’re 100% in the green though

Interested in code, market mechanics, and trading strategies!

Not sure if/how much student loans you have but otherwise:

1. Roth IRA max out now easy $6k (backdoor it if you want to be safe takes a second)

2. 401k max out 19.5k...if no match just elect for 40%+ contributions on your pre-tax income so you can max it out quickly especially since a new year will start in 4 months and limits will reset

3. Agree with the other post and don't bother skimping on rent or going too far/shithole it's just not worth saving the $3000 over a whole year

4. Dump the rest of savings as much as possible into investments and not things that will suck your cash flow for temporary pleasure ETFs, SPY, emerging markets, dividend stocks, covered calls, crypto, gold, etc. just do it all

I've been working a theory on the best way to go about this, and I think I've come to a pretty solid conclusion on it: A used hearse

• Robust used market, often as cheap as 15,000 for a good condition one
  • Never been hot rodded / are rarely driven when you buy them, always taken good care of
  • You know there's enough room to lay down comfortably
  • For the stealth part, no one every fucks with a hears (cops, kids, anyone)
  • Pre installed curtains on the windows, often a lifted roof for extra room. Windows often come pre-tinted
  • They are all caddys (clout), and are all rocking a V8 (gives it some surprising pickup)
"one for the money two for the better green 3 4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine" - M.F. Doom

Quas ut sed molestiae ab veritatis doloremque architecto. Odio aliquam maxime est atque iste et quia. Cum dolorem odio ut velit eveniet enim deserunt. Quibusdam fugit commodi occaecati sapiente quidem sed et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”