Probably a vast AirBnB network with property managers for each region that handle all the issues.

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

InvestmentSpanker

Lol this is the answer I would expect from a high schooler whose only finance knowledge comes from TikTok gurus

Well this is the best answer on thread so far that doesn’t require a lot of cash to start. I’ve also noticed you didn’t even provide any idea. 

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

Most Helpful

None of the other suggestions require a lot of cash to “start”. You can start buying stocks with $100.

Airbnb is probably the least passive of all real estate investments. The amount of work per dollar of equity invested is very high because you’re writing tiny checks to acquire these properties (compared to writing a $5 million check to acquire one apartment property which would get you to your $200k).

It’s also a competitive, highly volatile business. If you’d ever bought or financed a hotel you’d understand this. Anyone who talks about “my Airbnb portfolio cash flows $20k per month” is silly because there is no “typical month” in hospitality. You’ll feel the effects of a random conference, a random concert, whatever, and you need to know about these dates to be able to push the rate at your property. Can you imagine doing that for dozens of 1-2br condos or single family homes? Absolute pain in the ass. Your property manager would eat all of your income.

The real answer is already in this thread. It’s $4-$5mm of stocks, bonds, or other yieldy investments you can access from your phone. You don’t need multiple employees to manage your $5m in stocks. And the SP500 stock you own wont call you in the middle of the night with a broken toilet. Or sue you because they hurt themselves on your property, etc

As someone who actually owns a few STR properties I thought I might weigh in for what it's worth. If you're able to get good deals and execute a decent strategy you can get pretty good returns (10-20% cash on cash / 20%+ IRR) in an appreciating area while using a property manager to make it a passive investment. It's definitely not fast though and it requires a lot of capital (down payment + furnishings) and has high expenses (management fees, utilities, etc.). I can't speak to a lot of the content on social media, but from my perspective STRs can be a pretty nice way to approach individual RE investing as you generally get more cash flow than traditional long term rentals.

As a data point, I live in a MCOL / growing city and implement pad splitting for my STRs and each one (bought for $150-$300k with traditional financing) produces $10-$15k in annual cash flow. I plan on purchasing a handful more in order to reach $100k in passive income with my goal to do this in 3-5 years - this will probably take a portfolio of 8-10 rentals to cash flow that consistently. I'm sure there are smarter and faster ways to execute this (e.g., no money down, HELOC's, creative financing, more attractive markets, etc.), but I'm ok with sticking to local markets and putting more equity in my deals. Also, for what it's worth I'm not 100% in STRs - my portfolio is about 2/3 index funds / the market and 1/3 RE. 

REITs, BDCs, real estate of a larger scale beyond just some houses, like a shopping center, or even a moderate sized apartment complex, using DRIP to build up a portfolio for dividend stocks/MF funds/ETFs. Hell, winning the lottery or being some kind of "savant" and marketing how to get rich quick courses online to make yourself rich in the process and living off the marketing.

The poster formerly known as theAudiophile. Just turned up to 11, like the stereo.

Boring answer but... bonds, at least part of it. You'd have to have a lot of money invested to hit $200k/year, but even putting a portion in right now (or in 3 months, or whenever you think rates are peaking) is more or less guaranteed income at a very high set return. Even the safest AAA bonds are north of 5% right now, that's a pretty good return for completely passive buy and hold. I Bonds if you haven't already as well

Other side hustles like Airbnb, consulting size biz etc are just not that passive, it requires either $$$ help (property management) or a ton of work on your end. Not that they are a bad investment but if I had a big chunk sitting in cash that I didn't want to have in equities right now I'd throw it straight into quality bonds at a big yield and forget about it

Array

trustmeimanengineer

Put the 100k into a dividend ETF or create your own that you manage. AT&T and Verizon both give 6.5% or more in annual dividends. If you're adding 50k a year, just reinvest those for a few years and add a few other blue chip stocks. You'll get to 25k passive income via dividends in like 3-4 years if not faster. Then you can set it and forget it while reinvesting. I'd make it more diversified than just a few stocks, but Exxon and a few others also give good dividends. 

Faster way may to be just buy stocks/ETFs and just gain the appreciation over the next 5 years. Some experts I've seen think we are 1-2 years from the "bottom" so DCAing now will return exponentially in 3-5 years. Probably expect less immediate return but gain more return over the long-run as your capital gains should be lower too.

Quickest way would be to go into real estate. Buy a duplex, live in one half while renting the other half. Depends on the local area, but you should be able to get 1 to 3 with 100k down. Then you're cash-flowing 500/month per property on the low end after mortgages, taxes, and insurance are paid. This is not really passive as there will be some labor and time required to invest. Once interest rates come back down, you'll not only have equity in the duplex or rental properties but also whatever appreciation too.

This is something I am looking to do.  I know how to do basic repairs - electrical, plumbing, drywall, flooring.

I may look into getting a GC license to do side gigs as a HandyMan.

Expedita itaque qui vero ut odit at et. Deleniti minima deserunt tenetur.

Iste eum natus doloribus ut voluptatem. Non sit quia libero. Quo neque cum voluptatem quibusdam sunt et molestiae. Suscipit cum eos et natus. Ex alias consequuntur et est. Animi et optio expedita quidem voluptatum sit.

Et velit voluptates provident. Quasi deleniti magni sint quidem ipsa. Quia labore ex blanditiis ipsam blanditiis reprehenderit illum. Molestiae velit aut eligendi incidunt dolores velit vero. Alias rerum velit velit eveniet officiis sit consequatur.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
numi's picture
numi
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”