How much do you contribute to your 401k?

I feel like conventional wisdom is to max it out but I’m not certain what value of the tax advantage is relative to the benefit of increased near term liquidity. Obviously it makes sense to contribute as much as your employer will match since it’s just free money, but for high earners with backweighted earnings trajectories, does it make sense to contribute any more than that? 

You’re 100% right. Roth 401k then Roll to your own IRA later where you have more options (and lower expense cost). How could anyone think you have investment options that can out-gain 401k investment options that are exempt of 20% Cap gains tax for the next 40 years??

Most Helpful

Max it and put it all in whatever broad market US index fund is offered. This is basically my “safe” investment fund as my PA is tied up in dogshit tech stocks and TQQQ.

Really surprised some people dont like 401ks. It’s what - 19 grand a year? And it’s tax deductible? Seems like a no brainer for finance guys making half a mil. Basically just another way to invest.

I max it out for the tax shield, employer matches mid single digit %

I don’t get how you wouldn’t just get the match if you really believe in this bs about markets going down over 40 year horizons you should still contribute get the match then withdraw and pay the penalty and tax and you’d still end up ahead….

simple example 100 and if you have 1:1 match then you have 200. You withdraw it pay the penalty (-20) plus 50% taxes incl city and state you walk away with 80. If you didn’t contribute you would’ve gotten 50 (100 - taxes). 

I don’t follow people who don’t get the match 

This is basically my approach too. I max out my contributions and employer kicks in 6% and I do that every year. From my perspective, that means I can do fuck-all with the rest of my money. I invest, I take multiple vacations, play online poker, basically do nothing but golf in December, etc. I can do anything I want knowing that I've put away some money and retirement is addressed for the year. 

I mean, you get a tax shield, so in my opinion yes. I haven’t seen a convincing argument otherwise, unless you need short term liquidity. 

I only contribute to the extent that my company matches. Honestly, it feels like a waste of money cause you can't withdraw it until you're too old and don't have desires/energy to spend money. So if my employer didn't match it, I would just invest it in SPY in my personal account, so I can withdraw it when I want. However, it's not a huge sum of money, so I figured it's fine to put it in 401k with employer match.

20k pretax is just not a huge proportion of my annual income anymore. It's not nothing but it's not everything.The plan is to live off my personal portfolio once sufficiently sized and that will give me much more flexibility in what I recognize as taxable income relative to working a W2 job. Generally, W2 income is the least tax efficient so even if I was drawing the same amount of capital out of my portfolio as I'm earning in W2 income, which I don’t intend to do, I would be better off.

401k (Roth or traditional) allows you to avoid 20% capital gains tax on investment gains for up to 40 years - how is that not the most obvious no brainer possible? Honestly baffled by the question.

What if I can invest in my firm's private equity co-invest at 3x+ MOICs or direct lending funds at low-teens IRRs instead and don't want shitty low-to-mid single digit returns a year returns on limited investment options?

I used to think it was a no-brainer to max a 401k up to the max amount allowed (think it's currently 20,500). Then i read a book called 'Just Keep Buying' and when you crunch the numbers and assume annual contributions for 30 years with a 2% dividend yield then the after tax benefit of a 401k is 0.73% per year. Then according to a TD Ameritrade study, the average all in cost of a 401k plan is 0.45% compared to say 0.1% for any number of diversified ETFs on a brokerage account. So the after tax benefit of 0.73% is reduced to just a 0.38% annual benefit (0.73%- 0.35%) to the average american. To some the lack of liquidity until you are 60 years old is not worth the 0.38% annual benefit. I personally stopped maxing my 401k out this year after learning the above and seeing the extra fees and limited investment options in my 401k. 

Edit: forgot to mention the above assumes you are only ever selling investments in a taxable account at long term cap gains rates. 

That doesn't account for the fact that you don't have to pay taxes on the LT capital gains in a 401k at all... You are hit with one tax bill for a 401k (either up-front on the principal if Roth, or at the end on the full amount if traditional), vs. two tax bills in a taxable account (up front on the principal and at the end on the capital gains, which are lower because of the taxes on the principal). Paying taxes twice, as a general rule, is worse than paying taxes once.

my example assumes 7% annual growth and 15% long term cap gains tax and that in both the 401k and taxable account you don't sell anything until the end of whatever savings period you are assuming. If you are recognizing cap gains every year in the taxable account then that reduces returns about .55% every year, so you need to avoid doing that as much as possible. 

I agree with you and my example agrees with you that paying taxes once is better than paying taxes twice, but that only amounts to 0.38% annually in the average 401k account in america. Not a huge premium for locking your money up for 30 years.  

The calculus changes a bit if you roll an expensive 401k plan into a self directed IRA every time you change jobs. 

Can someone offer a different perspective in terms of putting investments in real estate properties or franchises? Investing in stocks through a 401k are generally without leverage and offer <10% returns on capital whereas real estate properties or franchisee operations could offer higher return on equity. Has anyone ever tried this path, understanding there is higher risk in general with owning / actively managing real estate?

Both of those options have the potential to be extremely lucrative but its a lot more effort and I think typically higher risk. 

Also, how do you plan to source / run either of those while you're working 70+ hours a week.  Unless you outsource the operations to another group or person, which eats away at the returns, you are going to be putting in a lot of time.

Dolorem autem minima id possimus. Doloremque dignissimos vitae voluptatem autem voluptas quod. Ducimus non iste nam quas sunt. Est blanditiis repellat adipisci consectetur aut. Beatae saepe velit impedit expedita.

Ut porro recusandae aspernatur laudantium voluptas. Exercitationem velit dolorum id quia voluptas eveniet. Et quis et voluptatem nihil. Molestiae laudantium rerum architecto natus et et. Voluptas consequatur doloremque deserunt culpa.

Veritatis a sit vel facere aut ipsa temporibus sint. Quasi alias non id quia. Nesciunt aut qui dolore voluptatem. Adipisci est minima minus inventore velit repellat vel.

Ipsam cupiditate inventore suscipit quis soluta. Architecto dicta rem iure aut laborum voluptas. Sit atque nobis nostrum qui. Doloribus consequuntur amet occaecati ipsum expedita expedita non. Ullam sit omnis alias quidem. Animi corporis dicta aperiam sed autem ut nostrum similique.

Aperiam et eos nesciunt earum expedita. Magnam quia sed provident praesentium. Repellendus sit vero aut. Nisi est officiis laudantium perspiciatis nihil et. Nemo qui perferendis itaque a repudiandae. Pariatur hic illo temporibus et est. Est nam delectus qui debitis harum quia in.

Quis eaque occaecati sunt explicabo nisi unde non. Excepturi sapiente et dolorem laudantium ratione. Asperiores ad est labore eveniet eos magnam praesentium sunt. Totam incidunt molestiae ut libero velit velit et commodi. Ea quia quo saepe atque. Nobis voluptas provident corporis mollitia.

Eum sunt iste dolores voluptate deleniti. Illo consequatur deleniti aperiam tempore nam. Sint accusamus voluptatem deserunt dolores aut qui eveniet omnis. Numquam neque et temporibus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”