THL PE Associate 2024 Interview

It seems that firms are certainly ramping up the interviews again. Has anyone had any insight on THL partners and their process?

Heard they started reaching out, and am very interested in that firm. Would like to hear any input that anyone has.. Thanks

Initial interviews were a mix of behaviorals and deal-related questions. 60 or 90 minute model test. Idk specific length but nothing crazy long. Some more interviews on investment judgment kinda related qs, meeting someone from HR, maybe more behavioral stuff and then a final interview with an MD, which is chill. Nothing that unusual I guess? They were doing Zoom interviews back when most funds were in person (at least NYC ones) so not sure if that's still the case now that COVID has kinda normalized.

I met people at an info session once and thought that most of them were nice. My roommate was at a MM bank and worked with them on a deal and said they were kind of a pain in the ass lol. Did a ton of work and then ended up lobbing an insanely low bid. Makes me question the culture a bit but personally haven't interacted with them outside of that info session and would otherwise have a semi-favorable impression of them based on the 4-5 people I spoke with

Healthcare - he did both HCIT and services, not sure how their coverage is split but would assume the same

Not sure if helpful but I went through their offcycle process for a ‘23 start. Put simply, it was a very fast process. Might have been specific to filling the rest of the class - but would say it definitely felt like a traditional oncycle with 5+ interviews in one day and heard offers went out within 24hrs of first interview.

I’d imagine, however, the 2024 process will be slower given macro conditions as well as the later start date.

Good luck to you all - seems like an amazing shop to work at. Growing AUM & fund size, first quartile returns for last two funds (although still early so we will see how these hold given environment), large equity check sizes which leverage SWF coinvest, internal promotion to VP path, strong HBS pipeline, decent cash comp with coinvest upside, hybrid workplace, automation fund and tech focus, etc.

Most Helpful

Work for an LP that works with them a fair amount and have two friends who have worked there so wanted to add to this comment.

Fundraising momentum has been solid but they're doubling down on this tech and automation strategy and I am not sure how that's going to pan out. We like co-investing with them on large deals because it helps reduce our effective fees but I think it's going to be harder for them to succeed when they're competing against BX and H&F than an assortment of MM funds. Automation fund also looks at tiny deals. Problem is associates are looking at deals across the spectrum so they're spread so thin and are constantly boiling the ocean on low probability deals.

Culture is a mixed bag. Firm has hired a ton of people over the last few years and has changed a lot. Seems like there might actually be more sharp elbows than nice people at the mid to senior ranks although I have generally liked the people I have worked with there. Associates tend to be nice although they look tired lol. I think their 3 day per week model in the office is good. They definitely work a lot. Known to be on the sweatier side but there are definitely worse funds for WLB just in Boston itself (cough Audax).

Also HBS pipeline has weakened significantly over last 5-10 years. More kids going to Wharton now. Bain, Berkshire, maybe even Charlesbank and Cove Hill will give you better HBS odds if you're trying to optimize for that in Boston. 

Less certain if I'd want to build a career there but seems like a decent spot to work for 2-3 years. Will get plenty of deal reps and have a solid brand name on your resume.

Officia et est dolor quod ut. Distinctio earum exercitationem pariatur non ipsam porro. Est sit veniam quia itaque sed optio nulla.

Magni architecto et autem laborum quas consequatur nemo. Sed libero reiciendis ut sunt nostrum. Omnis qui vel et quasi fuga tenetur non corrupti. Aperiam officiis rerum et.

Modi officiis laudantium ut ducimus labore temporibus. Omnis quo sed occaecati officiis sed corrupti. Reiciendis ullam qui sapiente nemo omnis fuga molestias. Quibusdam mollitia repudiandae quisquam molestiae reprehenderit. Velit debitis accusantium aut repudiandae illo.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (91) $281
  • 2nd Year Associate (206) $266
  • 1st Year Associate (387) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (314) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”