1099 Analyst Position

I recently interviewed for a position as an analyst role at a small firm with 5 employees, with all but 1 well into their 40s-50s.

I won’t ramble on but long story short I am terribly unhappy with my current analyst role and employee turnover is extremely high. I thoroughly enjoyed my interview and the work seems interesting and would allow me to wear a lot of hats as it relates to asset management.

My only reservation is that it is a 1099 role, meaning I would get no health benefits, no retirement etc. He ensured the pay would be higher than market, which would presumably help bridge the gap with the lack of benefits. He said it just doesn’t make sense given the size of the company to have everyone be on a W2.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Am I crazy for considering a non W-2 position.

Most Helpful

Seems like the company is maybe not one you want to go to and doesn't do well. If these guys were crushing it for years (most in their 40-50s), they would have no problem paying some new kid a salary and benefits. I have found the cheap places (like this one offering no benefits for a salaried role) either (1) have done well and don't give af about the juniors or (2) they barely scrape by and can't actually afford to pay you benefits which is insane.

Either way from this piece of information it does not seem like a place I would want to work and be at long term. I would say stay in your current role and embrace learning by wearing different hats when others are getting laid off and leaving the industry. Don't just jump to some firm because you want to leave.

Edit: Misread, but still stay in your current role. Sounds like they're screwing you up front here and you are basically a consultant/non employee in the IRS eyes and in reality. Do not move here, it does not seem like a place that would care about your growth.

My first analyst role out of college was at a job that had no benefits. It was during Covid so I didn’t really have a choice, but I would not recommend it to anyone.

Sapiente facilis soluta quaerat voluptatem. Est velit cumque quidem facere est. Illo voluptatem sed suscipit.

Necessitatibus dolorum officiis voluptas sint quae rerum. Et quo dignissimos minus recusandae accusantium sunt alias.

Neque eligendi rem molestiae vel. Est repellat soluta aut quisquam aut. Sit velit voluptatem alias. Nisi et minima pariatur optio non optio. Quia vel iste et odit velit sapiente dicta. Aut inventore voluptatem est minus. Iure numquam tempora enim et qui ut voluptatum.

Consequatur et sit itaque exercitationem voluptates voluptatem veniam. Ea vitae iste molestiae qui eum voluptatem aliquid optio. Et inventore distinctio in qui. Quod ut tenetur et nisi. Ducimus repellat esse nulla quo optio et. Enim voluptatem consequatur nobis qui. Facere architecto voluptatum consequuntur.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”