It actually is because when you just repeat what someone posts here and they ask you to elaborate and you stutter and cant give an explanation, don't be surprised when you don't get the offer. No worries though, Marcus and Millichap are always recruiting. 

Thanks!

Go look at the previous thread where this question was asked, and then think critically about how all the answers and reasons given there would change with an interest rate environment like today's, and a macro outlook from today versus a year or two ago.  That should give you plenty of answers, and thinking about it will allow you to put it into your own words.

If you can't figure out how buying last mile warehouse assets has changed in light of Amazon's recent pressers, for example, then this isn't a good industry.  Or MF in light of massive rate spikes (and likely more to come).  Etc etc

stingray67

which AMZL pressers are you referring to? unrelated to thread topic, so feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss. Cheers!

They said in their earnings release they're no longer looking to expand their physical capacity.  Given that they have been the single largest driver of upwards pressure on logistics facilities, by far, it's perfectly reasonable to expect that market to underwrite less aggressive growth than would have been the case a year ago when the assumption was that anything on the edge of a major metro, Amazon would lease/buy

Most Helpful

Was literally given this question in an interview for a Valuations role.

I talked about how the majority would be core to core plus assets because of risk aversion. I discussed the recent trend for industrial and included self storage since a friend of mine works in it and it’s doing well.

Then said id want to keep a portion for retail and commit to a lease up play. I had a prior internship so spoke more to the investment thesis on that. And I said that would be a small portion made for value-add for fun or investors looking at higher returns with higher risk.

If I could add to that answer post-interview, I would have said to look at build to rent in UK since it’s exploding onto the scene. But if you mention this, tell the interviewer why it’s going so well.

Basically pick an answer that allows you to discuss assets you know. If you’ve read about office then talk about office, or if you know an asset is underperforming say you’d avoid that. It’s an open ended question referencing your asset knowledge, they don’t care about proper investment thesis.

Just realized I wrote that under the assumption it was an interview help question when it’s not.

Personally, I’ve always been interested in residential and retail to small cities that big tech companies are moving to. Call it the Silicon Valley Emigration. In the last ten years, Nevada was burst onto the scene for resi and retail all because it’s a low tax state which Microsoft, Tesla (gigafactory), Switch, and a bunch of other tech companies have moved into. It would be a huge play on long term investments with an assumption that those tech companies bring in money to the community. Can also look at Utah and Texas and their development from tech. In the EU, Germany has a new Tesla gigafactory so resi around there would be for me. Resi and retail following big tech emigration - that’s my investment thesis for 100m.

I mostly agree, with a caveat. This will be fine most of the time, but I interviewed at a shop that did a lot of self-storage (knowing only the basics of storage real estate). Had I said most in storage, no way in hell I could answer questions intelligently from people who work full-time in that asset class. Have to be careful not to BS these too much. This would apply to any niche as well. Medical office is a great example where you'd have to know a bit more than just the basics to explain yourself to professionals. 

Don't @ me

I’d go with developed and stabilized PFC multifamily affordable deals in Texas (specifically around Dallas and Austin). I don’t think that execution is fully priced in. Don’t have to decrease in place rents much to get to 80% ami and get full tax exemption. No supply chain issues and strong secular fundamentals, just have to nail execution

Sed earum alias quidem ea quae et. Ut neque commodi ad aut vel voluptas earum. Hic rerum pariatur ex qui magnam culpa. Dicta harum doloremque accusantium vel. Ipsum enim vero ut molestiae nisi et.

Sequi ut laborum sequi. Vitae et vel omnis enim natus.

Ipsam mollitia illo aut perspiciatis est aut perspiciatis voluptatem. Quidem dolores harum earum molestiae voluptatem cupiditate. Autem et rem et aliquam incidunt. Rerum maiores minima sint incidunt dolorem consectetur quo.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”