What would you study with $10,000 a year?

Hello,

I am currently few months into a new job in GSE underwriting.
I just found out that as a part of the benefit package, I can get an educational assistance up to $10,000 a year.
I am a real estate newbie with huge passion, but I am not sure what to study or how to improve myself to stand out in this industry in the future.

I currently have three options in mind:
1) studying for GMAT
2) studying for certifications such as CAIA, CFA, CRI, etc.
3) taking online classes about real estate. (eCornell, UCLA extension, NYU program)

What would you do?
Please help out a fellow monkey shape his career.

Most Helpful

I wasn't specifically referring to books about real estate, but you should read some of those too.

If you aren't sure about your goals, which is totally fine, then I would double down on my advice. Read as many Great Books as you can. Books on business will probably be more valuable than real estate books. Even more importantly, you should hoover up as much knowledge as possible about a wide range of topics. The most interesting and successful people I know are all very well read in a variety of subjects like philosophy, ethics, business, science and tech, history, and psychology.

If you don't have a ton of career and life experience yet, I realize that this might sound like a distraction. But I can assure you that as you get older, you'll realize that the returns from this kind of learning compound very quickly. And looking back, reading widely and heavily will be the best investment you ever made in your life.

Repeating what @DCDigger mentioned above. Read everything you can and find a specific interest. While reading, research everything you don't understand. I mean everything. If its a term, a case study, or just a deal that went wrong. You'll learn a ton this way if you do it right, and it will prepare you to further your education once you've built a strong base, or so I've been told...

what are the requirements / restrictions of the "educational assistance" ?

Will they only pay for classes at accredited educational institutions (colleges, universities, technical schools, community college, etc...) or can you take a "class" from anywhere?

just google it...you're welcome

Magni aliquid omnis atque nulla sapiente rerum. Accusantium esse fugit animi cumque dignissimos omnis rem delectus. Fugiat cumque numquam sequi aut libero.

Debitis velit laboriosam quia omnis quasi. Cupiditate porro quaerat nemo non impedit. Qui voluptas eum et. Et quae eos blanditiis architecto. Nobis modi non ipsam qui facere doloribus voluptatem reprehenderit.

Aut asperiores nihil et vel eum tempore molestias. Sit dolor ipsum blanditiis autem iusto sit id.

just google it...you're welcome

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”