2023 UK University Rankings

Seen a lot of threads on here asking about what the target rankings are for UK unis so decided to make a list updated for 2023.

Tier 1:

Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Imperial

Tier 1.5

Durham

Tier 2:

Notts, Bristol, Exeter

Tier 3:

KCL, QMUL, Manchester, Leeds, York

Tier 4:

Bayes, Surrey

Only issue with St Andrews is it’s not a Russel Group or Red Brick so your resume is automatically rejected for some positions and I’ve had headhunters so they don’t care for it. Dumb considering how well it’s been placing the last few years (1 or 2 overall) but that might be a case of how well they handled the pandemic rather than regularly scheduled education. Would love to hear others experience on the matter.

Not to deter anyone, we did have students go to BBs, MBB, and PE funds so it’s totally doable.

10/10 would do again.

Apart from ‘prestige’ and historical culture, what roles or preference do Oxbridge students land that Warwick, UCL, LSE, Imperial students cannot? Apart from maybe large cap PE out of undergrad or MBB, I don’t think there’s many things exclusive to Oxbridge nowadays compared to in the past nor the propulsion it once did. Great place to become a future PM/Chancellor tho.

My list would be:

Tier 1:

Oxford, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Imperial

Tier 1.5:

Durham

Tier 2:

Nottingham, Bristol, Bath

Tier 3:

KCL, York, Manchester, Edinburgh, Bayes, Exeter

Tier 4:

QMUL, Leeds, Surrey, 

Rationale:

Tier 1 is self-explanatory, these are widely known as the target universities. Durham in tier 1.5 because they place extraordinarily well in finance, loads of people coming from there and lots of love being shown to them by companies.

Tier 2 includes the likes of Nottingham, Bristol, Bath. Nottingham churns out SW after SW holder. They place very well, but not all of their courses are as targeted. Bath has exclusive industrial placement schemes which even some of the targets do not have access to - you can land an exclusive 6 month placement at Citi, e.g., through their careers services.

Tier 3 includes those universities whose candidates do well, but lack a strong investment banking culture insofar not that many people apply to make it worthwhile for banks to recruit heavily from. That said, these universities still have decent representation. E.g., Bayes is pretty self-explanatory, good business school. Manchester is a large university, prestigious courses, so unsurprising. York is a smaller university, but punches above its weight with e.g., BofA sponsorship and plenty of strong candidates going into FO roles. And so on.

Tier 4 are universities which are not targeted in a meaningful capacity by the big banks, but strong candidates still can make it through, but will need to work harder than most. I don't think Leeds can rank above a tier 4 in terms of recruitment, I haven't really seen anyone from Leeds in FO roles, at least not as of recent.

These targetings by firms are not a static either, they do change. From what I understand, Bayes and York were far stronger many years ago with all major banks visiting their campuses, than now.

Hey I got an offer from both Nottingham and Bristol. Since they're in the same tier I dont know which to pick. Any advice?

Pick whichever university you prefer the course, campus, and city of. Nottingham is a campus uni, Bristol is a city uni. 

Studied at Notts and loved it, but I think objectively Bristol is a nicer city.

Your choice will be personal and driven by:

• Location preferences: East Midlands vs. Sea side (both ~1h30 from London & major airports either way)
  • Subject: for economics I'd pick Notts (what I did), but Bristol is better ranked overall I believe
  • Industry of interest: again econ-related I'd pick Notts, but might be different if you want to do, say IB (I have no idea which places best for IB, just saying it might differ)
  • Cost of living: tuition will be the same, but Notts is a lot cheaper compared to a lot of popular cities

Consequatur quo praesentium quis ad. Libero et in natus voluptatum id qui at dignissimos. Saepe dolore repudiandae aspernatur ut voluptas aut.

Quisquam sit maiores quasi delectus molestiae incidunt. Laborum repellat quo nulla at voluptas animi. Omnis excepturi delectus minus debitis qui.

Et ipsam est maxime autem dolor nobis. Iure id voluptatibus exercitationem quis et delectus et. Facilis maiores doloremque ipsa soluta ut itaque amet. Molestias alias est laboriosam. Est quis consectetur minus molestiae at accusamus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”