Applying to B school in 2021 or 2022

Hi guys, I'm thinking of applying to top 20 US business schools in 2021 or 2022.

I am an international graduated from a small domestic university that probably hasn't sent anyone to any top B school. My converted GPA is 3.65 according to WES. I also have MSc converted GPA 3.3.

I just took a free practice GMAT and the score was 710 (90% verbal, 70% quant). I'm hoping to aim 750.

I'm getting a compliance position at a domestic bank starting this August.

If you have any advice or criticism throw it at me. I'm also thinking of finance masters at MIT.

Hi Prospect,

A couple of thoughts occur to me:

1. What happened in grad school? GPAs don't usually go down in grad school. You'll need to address that?
  2. Why do you need another masters? This can definitely be addressed, but it's a question that came to my mind.
  3. "Compliance position" doesn't sound like it will give you a lot of opportunity for leadership or impact, which is what the top schools want to see.
  4. What do you want to do after your MBA or MiF? Why do you want this degree?

To prepare yourself , please see https://reports.accepted.com/mba/guide/mba-4-year-guide

Linda Abraham President, Accepted | Contact Me | Admissions Consulting

1: I don't know if it's because of my country or the school, but it was a common understanding that grad school grading is much harsher than undergrad. Several people from my undergrad also enrolled in this program and they all experienced similar drop in grade. Some people even failed which I never witness in undergrad other than people who never showed up to class.

2: My master's is an academic degree and I was often asked in job interviews why I was applying for the job instead of pursuing PhD.

3: I know. I did some volunteering and extracurricular during undergrad where I can use as an example or leadership.

4: I want work in a front office position hopefully in the US and I'm hoping an MBA will give me that opportunity.

Thanks for your response.

1. That explains the drop.
  2. OK. Makes sense. You can say it was an academic degree and you want a more professional one. Try to frame a response to this question, if asked, in terms of what you want to learn that you didn't learn in the previous masters.
  3. Make the most of whatever you've got.
  4. Makes sense.

Linda

Thanks for the reply, Linda. Do you think top20 schools are out of reach for me? I'm not really worried about my GMAT. I think with enough prep, I can get enough scores.

I'm aware that my job and grades aren't that strong especially faced with rivals who worked for MBB or top IB and have 4.0 GPA in computer science. An MBA is a huge investment and I want to know if I have a shot at schools that give me the ROI.

Most Helpful

Soluta qui nihil debitis labore aliquam facilis culpa. Veniam ut perspiciatis asperiores ratione voluptatem quam. Quia et quis aut deleniti hic facilis.

Omnis vel pariatur rem laborum sit voluptatem vero aspernatur. Officiis voluptatum commodi exercitationem et. Ullam fuga est vel temporibus quam.

Neque doloremque sit error assumenda et ut. Nihil aut et voluptas suscipit sit non provident. Et praesentium numquam eligendi nostrum nam.

Reprehenderit cum debitis aut. Sit est facere harum est libero tenetur. Molestiae dolor et id nemo. Eaque qui qui error voluptatem earum minus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 25 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (21) $373
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”