Georgetown MSF - Legit? (2024 update)

Curious as to learning about Georgetown's MSF placements, reputation and overall 'worth it' factor - I know the teaching style is a 'online if u want it to be' model and has read previous threads as to it being not bad at placing kids into regional MM etc, curious as to if any of this has changed since the original posts (2021/22). I'm an international student (Canadian) so while I qualify for TN visa, still wondering what recruiting would look like to smaller firms as a non-national

Also curious as to scholarships, and if anyone has had success getting any in the application process. In general, if anyone has attended this program or knows anything about it please feel free to comment, i'd appreciate it

Based on the most helpful WSO content, the Georgetown University MSF program has been known for its flexibility, offering both in-person and online options to accommodate students' needs. As of the last update, the program provided a "flex option" that allowed students to blend online and on-campus learning, which could be particularly beneficial for those who prefer a hybrid model of education.

Regarding placements and reputation, historically, Georgetown's MSF program has been recognized for its strong regional placement, particularly in the Middle Market (MM) space. However, as an international student from Canada, you should be aware that while you may have access to the TN visa, which facilitates work in the U.S., recruiting at smaller firms could present additional challenges due to visa sponsorship issues and a preference for local candidates.

As for scholarships, while the context does not provide specific details about scholarship opportunities within the Georgetown MSF program, it is common for graduate programs to offer various forms of financial aid, including scholarships. Prospective students often have to apply for scholarships as part of the admissions process or through separate applications. It would be advisable to reach out directly to the admissions office of Georgetown University or visit their official website for the most current information on scholarship opportunities and application procedures.

If you're considering the program, it's crucial to conduct thorough research and reach out to current students or alumni for the most recent insights. Networking with individuals who have firsthand experience can provide valuable information on the program's current standing, the effectiveness of its career services, and the actual 'worth it' factor based on recent outcomes.

Sources: Georgetown University MSF Program - In Person, MSF & International Students - A Message, MSF Class of 2017, Q&A - Georgetown MPSRE Current Student, Georgetown University Online MSF

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Most Helpful

I graduated from the program a few years ago and also made a few comments about it on this app as well.

From my experience, people in my cohort didn’t only get into regional IBs, but also solid MMs and BBs. Others got into consulting, wealth management or non profits.

Most of everyone I knew are doing pretty well, some got into private credit and private equity.

I might be a bit biased but I think the MSF program still has a solid reputation. It’ll definitely help you get looks from a lot firms, but it comes down to you on getting the offer.

There’s a lot of MSF programs being established recently (I believe U of Chicago just started theirs). I think currently the top MSF programs (from my perspective and others I know graduated from these programs) are Vandy and MIT. Georgetown, U of Rochester, U of Virginia and UT Austin are slightly a tier below, but these programs will definitely sky rocket your career only if you put the work in (and that goes for all programs tbh).

Another thing to keep in mind, not all students in the program are gunning for IB. Some are just there to a promotion at their current job or are looking to get into a different industry (such as consulting/non-profits/corporate development/ etc…)

For international students, I can’t really share anything on that front.

Did the fact that the program is online stand in the way of developing a social network among your cohort? I am hearing good things about this program, but am not interested if I can't develop a good network or social life during those two years

These MSF programs are really a gamble.

They have a good chance of being worth it if you really buckle down, but they also charge a high tuition with no guarantees for jobs in high finance.

Yes, it's easier to recruit from an MSF than recruiting while being unemployed after undergrad, but I'm not sure if it's worth the price.

As an online program, they aren't able to provide F-1 visa for students to even come in the US..

no way… that’s insane. I thought you could pick between in person and remote?

Id inventore nihil dolorem vitae quisquam ex quos voluptatem. Eum distinctio ab enim. Soluta est qui labore ad. Est eligendi voluptatem pariatur. Harum iure id eum repellat ea id voluptatem mollitia. Provident quia sit aut qui incidunt fugit. Omnis cumque veniam corrupti aut.

Molestiae possimus necessitatibus accusamus officiis aut quisquam. Qui assumenda cumque dolorum debitis quas.

Dolorum dicta cupiditate minus quae. Facere aperiam voluptas in necessitatibus natus delectus. Quam rerum ipsam mollitia error et. Est qui et voluptatem molestias minima velit. Optio unde ex qui ab aut excepturi. Rem qui omnis nesciunt.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”