Gmat 410 no prep. Is getting 700+ in a year doable?

Hi,

I just took the official gmat practice test and scored a measly 410 (Q27,V24) and I also took the Veritas practice and got 480 (q33,V27) and so I know that I am around the low 400s at a starting point.

I was wondering if getting a 700 in a year or so would be realistic? I am at a top uni in the UK and have the opportunity to dedicate a year to this (2 hours perhaps a day) during my year abroad and it is my ultimate goal to one day attend HBS/GSB/Wharton.

Based on my initial scores with no prep, if I spend the year using OG, Empowergmat and other tools etc. Is getting a good score likely?

I don't want to dive into it if my intellectual ceiling is probably lower than the 700 threshold (never been good at standardised tests just worked my ass off to get grades at school)

Thanks!

Not to discourage you, but it might be tough to jump 200+ points. I improved 40 points from 720 without studying to 760 with a couple months of aggressive studying. I think if you use the right resources (eg. GMAT prep) then it could be possible.

Most Helpful

First, do not put artificial limits on yourself. The GMAT is not a test of intelligence. Over time, and with proper studying, you will adapt to the style and variations of questions. You will also hone your focus. Ensuring that you’re consistent in studies, embracing and learning from your weaknesses, and considering the use of a tutor or test prep company give you the best odds at maximizing your score. Do NOT be afraid of taking practice tests either.

Second, if being candid with you, a 700 GMAT won’t give you the best odds of gaining admission to the schools you’ve named or any other school in the T15 for that matter. You need to be thinking about 730+ for the MBA business schools">M7, especially if your profile mirrors many of the other applicants applying with financial services experience.

Might you get in with a 700 somewhere? Maybe.

You can score much higher than a 700 if you’re focused and dedicated. Good luck.

Thank you for this. I am going to give it my best shot and hopefully I can even surpass 700 in the year.

As I am from the UK, GMAT is not as spoken about here. I have a unique profile and good jobs lined up but I want to have the GMAT behind me in case I decide to apply. 700+ is my aim, I am never going to be a 750 maths whiz but I have a cool profile and so I am hoping I can give myself a year to score 700+ and tick the list. It would feel damn great if I could

any advice on timing? - i understand all the concepts behind quant and verbal but struggling a ton with timing - takes me like 90 mins to finish Q and V

[Comment removed by mod team]

Once, I did around 400 hours in total. One attempt.

1. App Gmat Prep in a tram to work and back
  2. Did manhattan and official GMAT guides (official I did only half, lack of time)
  3. I did 8 mocks, 6 official and 2 manhattan. Remember 2 weeks before do at least 3 tests from official site. I was scoring 690, 670, 700 and the final 710 so it was quite consistent

Hey, I never studied. I just took the official practice test yesterday to see what sort of score I would get. I haven't studied anything GMAT related. 410 was my blind score so I am trying to see if, with a good amount of revision, the 700+ land would be possible

Aut labore illum accusantium accusamus perferendis. Est quae non quaerat deleniti. Aut molestiae optio similique at. Non dolor officia ipsam.

Ipsa praesentium in culpa earum. Et quis eaque fuga perspiciatis necessitatibus voluptas et. Debitis modi cum ab deserunt nam ipsa. Vel rerum est voluptate consectetur corrupti sapiente. Incidunt blanditiis ut blanditiis. In alias laborum nemo iste perferendis fuga commodi sit.

Dolore ratione ipsum quaerat. Neque vitae cum officia assumenda. Sit incidunt aliquam maiores omnis quos eius accusamus veritatis. Totam nihil quas modi eos.

Hic a harum repudiandae quos eum tempore. Enim veritatis ab mollitia officiis voluptatem natus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 18 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (90) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”