2023 Trading Profits

How's everyone doing profitability wise this year?  Volumes/Volatility for the most part is down big relative to what we have experienced over the past few years.  I heard Jane Street/FlowTraders/etc. had a rough Q2. Anyone know how Q3 went for most hedge funds/prop shops?  Many friends at some big hedge funds have indicated they're having a rough year too.  

Are many professionals expecting a big dip in their bonuses this year?

Based on the most helpful WSO content, it seems that the financial industry has been experiencing some turbulence, which could potentially impact bonuses. The discussions indicate that there's been a significant surge in Investment Banking revenues, but this doesn't necessarily translate to a proportional increase in bonuses.

There's also been mention of a shift in how people view their work, especially in the wake of COVID and its aftereffects. This could lead to a higher than usual number of people leaving their jobs in banking, particularly at the analyst, associate, and VP levels.

In terms of specific firms, there's a mention of Wells Fargo where bonuses were reportedly cut, particularly affecting analysts and associates. There's also a mention of William Blair, where morale is reportedly low due to bonus-related issues.

However, it's important to note that these are discussions and speculations, and actual bonus figures can vary widely based on a multitude of factors. It's always a good idea to keep an eye on the market trends and stay informed.

Sources: https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forum/investment-banking/bonus-season-comps?customgpt=1, WB Bonuses, Wells Fargo bonuses down by 30%?!, 2022 Compensation - What Are You Guys Expecting?

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Seems the same at my bank for equities, curious to find out whether this is true for FICC, rates vol going up recently

Cash Equities, APAC. Can't be more specific though. Haven't got the faintest idea regarding the FICC, but equities in APAC was down so bad due to China/HK liquidity this year. SO I guess Cash Equities would be like the most badly hit asset class in this region. 

20/21 was a good year, 22 little bit down, 23 just crashed.

wow, really?  Everyone that i know who trades APAC equities is getting killed this year.  Volatility is low, volumes (shares and notionals) have taken a dip much steeper than in the US/EU, plus cost of trading in APAC is sgnificantly higher than in the US, especially China/HK which have stamp taxes.  I would have expected APAC equities to be performing the worst.  If true your desk is definitely performing at the top of the market.

Most types of traders and trading firms are complaining about this year. Market makers, physical commodities traders, discretionary prop, sell-side trading, and hedge funds all have seen revenues drop this year. Probably an overhang after last year's record profits. Things take time to mean-revert. 

Incidunt animi a iusto dolorem odio. Magnam dicta quibusdam sunt aut fuga est neque.

Adipisci sequi omnis debitis eveniet est eveniet quas. Sunt quis illum recusandae qui id. Consequatur perspiciatis nemo cumque at ducimus.

Sequi quasi rem et nisi aut. Rerum autem omnis distinctio blanditiis.

Maiores et eveniet id est ducimus hic non. Sunt aut aut est natus ea. Accusamus in dolore minima nobis nulla aut. Atque molestiae qui nihil qui. Et quia voluptas ullam enim ab assumenda repellendus. Omnis in quisquam mollitia id molestiae. Enim molestiae aliquam et ipsam ea.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”