2024 Bank of America Quantitative Analyst (Global Risk) legitimacy, exit ops, pay, etc.

Got an offer for a Quantitative Analyst in Risk but am not quite sure what the job entails. Mainly want to know what the salaries are like for the entry level QMAP program in NY, what type of work is actually done, and the exit ops for something like this. Is this an internship worth holding onto or should I search for something else if I want to keep advancing prestige and salary throughout my career? My goal is really to work on exciting deals and/or trading that goes on in the bank.
In sum, I'd love to know where a position like this lands at the bank in terms of prestige, salary, and exit ops. 

Hey Kryptix4K, I'm the WSO Monkey Bot and I am sad to say, but this thread is lonely, so thought I'd post in here to try and help out. Some potential topics that might help:

More suggestions...

If those topics were completely useless, don't blame me, blame my programmers...

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

QMAP is a decent gig if you don't have any other FO options. It's a program where you rotate in risk or model val (or I fear also compliance lately: they moved all the QMAPs in compliance a few weeks ago). The groups you end up in are pretty random (with CCR and Market Risk being the best 2). 

But most people do this program pretty passively whereas you can network aggressively and try to land a FO position. The problem with the QMAPs I have met is that they were all pretty passive about their job and wait until the end of the 2 years before looking for another job. But if you are proactive, network internally, etc you can land a FO spot I think.  

Thank you man. Couple follow ups:

1. Is it worth asking to recruit for S&T directly either rn (both programs are still open) or after the internship? Also is it worth networking with CCR and Market Risk Groups to ensure good placement? 
2. Pay details (we can also take this to PM if you want)?
3. What do a lot of other QMAPs do after the program?
4. Assuming that you were also in NY, how far were you from FO floors (for networking and stuff)?

Most Helpful
  1. I don't think asking now to recruit for S&T would yield great results as tbh I think the odds aren't great since they keep risk and FO pretty separate (even the networking events are held separately). As for after the internship then yes, absolutely. I know of one guy that did his summer internship in BO at BofA and ended up getting a FT offer for ficc structuring. Not sure how he did though, I think some other intern friend of him put him in touch with the guys from that team. I would either try that or try reaching out to HR directly towards mid/end of the summer (maybe asking for another internship for next year in S&T). As for market risk/ccr: not sure how much pull they have with HR, but it definitely doesn't harm and if an MD really likes you he can do something to have you FT in his team. I would 100% try.
  2. Pay in london is 50k £ for the 2 years that the program lasts, no bonus. The FT salary should be the same pro rata you are offered for the internship.
  3. Most get placed within the bank: some in MRM, some in market risk/ccr/alternative modelling quants (all risk quants). At the end of the day it's up to you to find yourself a good role afterwards I think, so I would guess that if you are proactive you can get a good position. I know of one guy that ended up in S&T. But again, most of these guys are pretty passive and just wait for HR to place them.
  4. In new york global risk analytics and FO are two separate buildings connected by a tunnel, and I am not sure if the badge for the risk building works for the main one (but I would assume so, in London it's all in the same building). But you can still ping the FO guys and ask for coffees. 

Happy to answer more questions. At the end of the day it all depends on which other offers you have: if you don't have any, then it's a good internship to get into the industry/ get a good name on your cv.

Tysm again man, couple more questions:

1. Work hours -- my offer letter says it pays 40 base and then 60 overtime, but should I expect to work overtime?

2. If I was to network with credit risk groups and potentially be placed there, it's realistic to make a jump to IB LevFin (or like ECM if I was to work on model risk) either after the internship or after the program; have you seen it done? BofA's Levfin group is pretty competitive I can imagine.

3. What skills should I focus on during the internship to maximize my wow factor when trying to secure FO positions? 

Sorry for all the questions -- I really do appreciate this

With out seeing your offer, I am assuming the expected weekly hours worked is 60, 40 regular and 20 over time.

Each building and floor requires assigned access so you most likely would not have access to the trading floors.

BofA is very good at internal movement so if you do well during this internship and network you could land a FO full time offer or lateral after starting in that role.

Commodi magni et id. Tempore ab ut eaque velit corporis. Mollitia dolores et dolores quas illum. Ipsam voluptatibus nobis dicta vel voluptatem ullam consequatur. Et illum ut expedita culpa sunt atque cumque.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”