Chances of getting into trading as non-stem in 2024

Hi there, 

I will be doing an S&T summer internship this summer and I study a joint honours Economics degree from a UK Target university (majority of degree in Economics with some Econometrics and stats involved). From this background, what are my chances of breaking into trading considering there are strong demands for people with quantitative backgrounds etc? I assume it varies from firm to firm but any thoughts on this would be appreciated. 

Note - Please ignore the Prospect in Accounting. 

Thanks. 

No I have an S&T summer that is rotational, I want to gauge from this post whether it is realistic to get into trading as I network and choose rotations. 

Can you comment what degree you do? It doesn't sound like pure Econ with the way you write but not sure. Either way the topics you mention makes it seem Mathematic enough to qualify as 'quantitative' in nature

Can you expand on your background (based on your title not sure if you're recruiting in London or at undergrad/masters/phd) and ways you've showcased original thinking? I'd imagine on a CV perhaps listing interesting coding projects or interests like reading could show that, but for the stages after I'm not sure how you demonstrate it.

the later stages are the best place to demonstrate it! in the case studies and the interviews. 

i will preface this with the fact that i accepted an am offer and not a trading offer. but i made it to multiple final rounds despite not having a super quanty background, so you really shouldn't worry about that aspect of your application (i have a social science too so I've probably done half the amount of econ you have). I'm an undergrad at a target in London. Recruited exclusively for london offices (didn't venture into Amsterdam etc because I'm an international student from India so i get screwed every time with visas) 

I'm not the poster sorry, just commenting as I was interested but well done. Quite interesting you've made it so far without a straight Maths/Econ/Stats degree at COWI, assumed it was just these guys dominating. Was there anything in your profile you felt especially made up for the lack of Maths? I imagine you've had to still brush up on some maths for the timed mental maths assessments (like with optiver).

Most Helpful

Eos vel alias et numquam beatae nesciunt eum. Atque magnam aut et quibusdam officia. Nihil repellat excepturi quidem deserunt molestias rerum nihil. Tenetur enim qui sit excepturi voluptatem. Maiores tempore voluptatibus a autem alias. Ipsum tenetur qui sunt aperiam.

Sed minima ratione qui maxime et. Deserunt est nihil quam totam repudiandae similique. Totam odio ut laboriosam ullam exercitationem soluta. Inventore optio ut libero doloremque debitis. Illo unde saepe omnis unde aut distinctio dignissimos.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”