Quant Trading job market in US in 2015

I am a 3rd year banking analyst, with little quant knowledge and trying to get rid of the long working hours and pursue a job with better work-life balance and not much pay-cut. I personally is quite good with numbers and have some science background.

Luckily I got admitted to a top MFE program in US, which will graduate in 2015, and I am making the tough go-no-go decision now. I would like you senior monkeys' insights and predicts on the job market, esp. quant trading at that time. I think the move is more of a location/job nature change for me, so highly dependent on the sentiment that time. Appreciate your help in advance!

Quant trading will be tough without good programming chops which take several years to practice. However, there are some great markets related positions which are more sales and trading than quant trading/programming. If you think you can get promoted in IB staying where you are, I would ask the MFE program if you can defer for a year and then decide later.

BB global markets programs are definitely hard to get but I think your chances are better out of an MFE than an MBA. An MBA is much more diversified however and will open doors for you across many industries in strategy and corporate development (very different path from quant careers).

Best Response

I think the MBA vs. MFE decision is based on what you want out of your career.

I have always been of the view that the best way to advance in a career is to largely focus on technical skills so you can create hard value. The soft skills, the friends, the connections are something you just tend to pick up through hard work.

I think MBAs are a great tool in an industry where search and discovery costs are expensive (often these are industries that tend to have a lot of salespeople). I think MFEs are a better tool in an industry where data is cheap and freely available and analysis is expensive.

If you suck at interpersonal skills, don't do an MBA. If you suck at math, don't do an MFE.

Princeton is an interesting program that falls somewhere in between an MBA and an MFE on the spectrum. The program is pretty flexible and allows you to take everything from CS courses to Stats courses to Econ to, of course, ORFE. (Actually four of the five core courses are in the ORFE department.)

Booth and CMU Tepper also have MBAs that you can kind of steer quantitative, I believe.

Great post Illini- yeah, I think from an academic content standpoint, there's no question that any MFE program will be miles and miles ahead of any MBA program. People do the MBA basically 100% for access to recruiters and signalling value (doing a top MBA is fairly trivial but getting in is not).

I think Princeton has the best program for a career in finance there is. That said, besides Stanford (which is winding down its finmath program), Princeton is very, very difficult to get into. I think Columbia Business School has a masters in financial economics now and the acceptance rate is something crazy like 2%. But the CBS program seems overpriced given the lack of access to CBS MBA on-campus recruiting and the hurdles that someone has to clear to get admitted (might as well just do the PhD at a top school or drop out of the PhD).

Correct. The MBA curriculum in general is fairly easy if you come from a solid background. Obviously it's admissions into a top program that acts as a powerful signal to recruiters, hence one reason why they flock to the top schools every year.

The CBS masters in financial economics is very new, so its market value is rather untested. Most of the students are foreigners, which is not too surprising. From what I've gathered it caters mostly to those who are recently out of undergrad while Princeton and Berkeley are more open to older candidates.

Eos error nam asperiores a. Vel debitis voluptatem aut deleniti et dolore odio. Non omnis iure repellat porro.

Consequatur tenetur repellat ducimus temporibus. Quia deserunt distinctio suscipit autem quia culpa. Similique voluptate sit at earum. Officia odio aperiam quo et delectus corrupti dolores. Consequuntur maxime necessitatibus amet error nulla. Voluptatibus exercitationem sint occaecati rerum. Magni architecto aut consequatur aliquam et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”