Quant Trading / Quant Research
Hi WSO - hoping someone can shed some light on these two areas of finance. I've found bits and pieces of information, but no detailed breakdown of the two. Understand that there's also some variability in what the titles mean at different firms.
Particularly interested in learning:
- What do these jobs actually constitute - machine learning/AI? Coding/infrastructure development? Pen-and-paper math/statistics?
- What does the day-to-day work look like?
- How do these two career paths compare in terms of compensation, relative to each other and to traditional discretionary trading?
- What does career longevity look like?
- Are Masters/PhD programs in stats/math/comp sci/physics still the best way to land these roles?
- Is being at a "target school" as important for recruiting as it is at the undergraduate level?
Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!