100% Leveraged LBO?

Hi guys,

Say there is a company that is Cash-Rich. This company has over one billion in cash and cash equivalents and long term US Treasury bonds. Making this company highly liquid. Even with the early redemption of the long term bonds, the company is still in excess of $1B. Moreover, this company is producing solid earnings results, but the bottom-line could be drastically improved. (This company is not in the financial services industry).

The market cap of this company is trading somewhere around 150-200mm. The price has flat-lined and has absolutely no pulse. This company also does not share a dividend. Therefore, there is no value creation for shareholders happening.

My question is that is this company a potential LBO candidate? Would a bank find this kind of loan attractive? The company is cash-rich and could easily pay back the loan immediately seeing how liquid it is. Not only could it be paid back instantly, but the acquiring firm could afford a large premium of the current trading price.
I am aware that these companies are rarer than unicorns, some do exist. I wanted to get an opinion on if this type of LBO is feasible. Please let me know if I am crazy or does this seem like a low/no-risk LBO? (Providing the company doesn’t white knight or poison pill).

LBOs are typically cash-free, debt-free. Meaning the seller keeps the cash and satisfies the debt.

A bank is more concerned with the future cash flows of the business. Nonetheless, banks are rather hesitant if there is no "new equity" coming into the deal.

To really get a deal done, the company would need enough future cash flow to maintain covenants (total debt / EBITDA and fixed charge coverage) and have hard equity invested in the transaction (buyer cash to the seller).

Only way this would happen is if it had debt/very serious negative cash flow problem. Otherwise its just 800k undervalued yes?

And OP: A dividend is not the only way companies create value for shareholders. The idea is to create future cash flows either reinvested for later distributionsor distributed (as buybacks or dividends).

**Item 4 - Mine Safety Disclosures. Not applicable.**

This is physically impossible. To put it into perspective, let's assume you took $1B of cash and put it into a box. You then offered to sell the box to somebody. What would it's market value be? The answer is $1B. Because it's cash. It has no liquidity discount, no idiosyncratic risks, nothing. At the minimum, unless the company does something with the cash, it will always be worth at least $1B, since you can just buy the entire company and liquidate it at no risk.

Now the real issue is the fact that you say the company does not issue dividends. Let's assume it never issues any dividends ever, and that you can never buy over the company. This means there are no cash flows to any investor, and consequently the shares of this company are worth nothing. Then it's market cap is $0.

Et eum non officia delectus at fuga natus aliquid. Nemo quas quae reprehenderit ea. Voluptatem facilis perferendis voluptate aspernatur dolorem error in. Facere accusamus quia similique aut facere.

Perferendis itaque dolorum illo voluptatem voluptatum eius commodi beatae. Similique voluptatem quia libero cum officia inventore. Ut quia reiciendis blanditiis. Voluptatum voluptas ad provident dolor.

Itaque vel sit ut. Consequatur non consequuntur error ut quidem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (91) $281
  • 2nd Year Associate (206) $266
  • 1st Year Associate (387) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (314) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”