2019 Sophomore Internship

Sup Monkeys,

I am currently a Freshman at a non-target school but have a 4.0 GPA and a nice M&A internship at a Fortune 500 company lined up for this summer. Just starting to think about the process for internships after next year and was wondering if anyone has any advice for getting a sophomore internship at a bulge-bracket. I know most programs are diversity (I'm a white male) so was wondering if anyone knows of any specific programs to shoot for and what that process looks like. Since applications are so early, what should I be looking to do beforehand to best position myself? Let me know if you guys have any input. Appreciate it.

Region

Definitely an uphill battle. I tried for the same for this summer (currently a sophomore) and did not succeed. Very few places will consider sophomores at the BB level. I'd look at regional offices (SF, Houston, Chicago, etc.) as they may be more open to considering you. PM me if you want to hear more about the processes I went through.

Above is correct - I am diversity and even those are extremely limited spots. I would definitely apply everywhere just to get familiar with the process. I did about 10 real HireVues/some Korus/a few other behavioral things last summer, didn't get any of the jobs but having done it helped me this year (especially with timing being so surprisingly moved up). You're already in a good spot with GPA, internship, and starting so early. Beyond sophomore summer, would also look into the non-diversity freshman and sophomore insight days (GS has city camps, JP Launching Leaders, Barclays has a couple) as they look great on a resume, can help you out at that firm in the future, and answer the "why x firm" question for you in a memorable way.

Array

Honestly it's not worth your time to even try. I tried my absolute best and had, what I think is a solid resume, and I still had no shot. Unless you're an URM, there's no point. Stick to finding a finance role for the following summer or work at a small firm. There's no harm if you don't get a BB internship your sophomore year...in fact most target kids won't even get them.

Doloremque voluptatem ut voluptas aspernatur. Deleniti nulla vitae impedit dolor doloremque laudantium.

Ab magni ut voluptatem quod temporibus sunt. Incidunt dolores expedita accusantium corrupti repudiandae repellat.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”