2021 Investment Bank Rankings for Exit Opps

Hey all, usually hate these posts but after seeing some questionable rankings, I decided to put my honest thoughts on a ranking of investment banks based on what I observed from buy-side placement across the street from 2016-2021. I am NOT claiming these are completely objective and undisputed rankings, but these are just from my observations throughout my time in IB and at an UMM PE fund.

Ranking

Tier 1a: CVP, Evercore, PJT

Tier 1b: GS, MS, Moelis, Lazard, JPM

Tier 2: BofA, Citi, Barclays, CS, PWP

Tier 3a: Guggenheim, Jefferies, Greenhill

Tier 3b: UBS, DB

Tier 4: William Blair, Rothschild, HL, RBC, HW, Baird

Tier 5: WF, Piper, PJ Solomon

Tier 6: Cowen, RJ, Lincoln, BMO

Tier 7: Stifel, Macquarie, Nomura, Leerink, Mizuho

Notes

-Ultimately Tiers 1a/1b have extremely similar exit opps but I definitely noticed (for NY PE recruiting) Tier 1a alumni did better regardless of which office they came from (as in Tier 1a placements were definitely much more diverse and balanced in terms of group/office compared to 1b)

-Tiers 3a/3b started off around the same tier but over the past few years that there's been a clear trend of 3a firms pulling away from 3b firms for NY buy-side placement. The difference and trend is large enough to warrant a 3a/3b, but not enough to be a completely separate tier.

I can see where OP might be coming from, as CVP is generalist across industry as well as M&A/RX, and while GS has no bad groups they certainly have stronger groups that are better represented on the buy-side. Also CVP is the smallest T1 firm so their buy-side placement per analyst interested in buy-side recruiting is probably better than GS.

GS is only good if you’re in a good m&a group. The financing groups suck, except maybe levfin. If you’re comparing a top GS coverage like TMT/FIG to CVP, then sure, but most people aren’t in those

I would like to hear the argument for both sides tbh. They've placed much better than their tier in the past 2 cycles. Not saying they deserve to be bumped but I think it's worth considering as I feel like they win all cross offers in that tier as well

No doubt PWP is a great firm and their analysts place well, but PWP has been a rapidly growing firm and from my observations their placements reflect that. My list comes from observing placements across the street over several years, and IMO if you look at average placements across my timeframe PWP is still below T1 firms, even though their placements in 2020 were easily among T1b. 

If you just look at recent history and placements, I'd definitely put PWP among 1b. However, keep in mind that in general independent advisory firms and fast-growing firms tend to be quite volatile, and it'd be a mistake to assume that a firm's current trend and it's current PE placement will hold down the line. Just throughout my time from college recruiting till now I've seen Greenhill's placements swing up and down, matching the firm's general volatility. I think all the 1b firms have shown a clear consistency over a longer period of time in terms of placements than PWP, and that warrants their position above PWP. 

Greenhill not that high. Jeffries not that high. Also, PWP on average placed way better into MFs this year and is dominating recently. Pls fix

I honestly think OP's assessment of Greenhill and Jefferies is pretty on point. Greenhill is pretty small so their per-capita placement into UMMs is pretty good and they also have a HW-esque culture where there's sort of an implicit "2 or 3 and out" culture where management encourages analysts to recruit for buy-side. I've also noticed that Jefferies punches above their weight for placement, probably because Jefferies is such a grind and the analysts get their reps and deal experience so they're pretty well-prepared for buy-side recruiting.

This ranking is fine except for PWP. They’ve been absolutely killing it since being more receptive to exiting

Folks love hating on PWP for some reason. As someone who didn't work there but had 2-3 friends there, anecdotally they are a fantastic shop to be at as an analyst. Supportive on buyside recruiting and seemingly good transaction exposure though again, all anecdotal.

lol no point in making these threads if the PWP goon squad is just going to take over and hype the firm up to infinity

Not to suck PWP’s nuts more, but it is just flat out wrong to have them in that tier given their recent exits lol. My friend there exited to MF

Do you have any data to back this up? The recent Opus thread contradicts this comment completely. Funnily, once again the Barclays weebs strike to not feel too terrible about the shitty brand on their LinkedIn profile.

we can all agree citi has the worst corporate pe exits of the 4 lol

Like others said, PWP in Tier 1b, but also GS/MS to 1a, Gugg/GHL to 2, and Jeff/UBS/DB in the same tier (3)

Controversial

Gugg/GHL are no where near mid BBs, and PWP is certainly not ahead. Boutiques are so overrated on this thread. This should be the general order.

1: GS, MS, EVR, JPM, CVP, PJT

2: BAML, BARC, LAZ, MoCo, Citi, CS, PWP

3: JEFF, GUGG, UBS, GHL

4. RBC, DB, WF, Roth, PJ Solomon, HL etc.

This is such a bad take. Look at the EB exits from this year (one posted above) and show me the statistics that indicate that mid-BB has the same exits on average. There’s a reason so many people go from mid-BB soph summer to EB 

This is probably the ranking I agree with most on this thread. Surprised it has so many MS

This one reflects general street view imo. Surprised its so controversial 

We need a 2022 updated list fam. Your list based on exits is pretty accurate 

The exit opps for junior bankers are most positively correlated with the firm's historical reputation rather than current deal flows. It is about EBs BBs historical reputation, culture, hiring and training process. The deal flows are inherently volatile and largely influenced by addition and departure of key personnel which is not and should not be a measurement of a junior banker's competence level.

As someone who went through buyside recuriting few years ago and is far removed now, can someone please explain why PWP did so well this year? Is the dealflow / experience that much better compared to other top EBs / BBs or are buyside firms valuing "nicer" firms - i.e. firms with that actually care about their analysts, MDs really going to bat for analysts etc. 

Does tier 7 have any shot at decent PE exits? Or would I need to lateral to have a shot at PE? I have an SA offer at one of these, but looking to ultimately do PE/growth. MF seems out of the question but thinking about UMM or MM

I have noticed on this forum, people don't even mention Qatalyst. I am assuming it is because their analyst class is significantly smaller than the other EBs? They definitely should be 1a/1b.  

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share a forum where we discuss the markets, stocks, options, personal finance, and careers in finance. I think this forum will be helpful for those looking to get into IB, PE, or HF because we discuss what they actually require in terms of skillsets and the type of thinking you need to do when interviewing with them. It's more than just acing the modeling tests or answering technical questions. It'll also help you determine which path to go: private market investing (private equity) vs public markets (HF) or transactions work (IB) or service providers (equity research).

I have experience in IB, ER, and credit research and would love to hear your feedback on some of the discussion either in the Reddit or YouTube channel. It's called Midasinvestors and feel free to participate in our discussions!

Reddit: search for r/Midasinvestors

YouTube: search for Midasinvestors

Sorry they won't let me post links.

Thanks all

Never really liked the idea of ranking the banks. Implicitly it means I’m ranking the first impression on individuals from said banks by the same ranks, which seems shallow. I see why some do it - perhaps it’s to help others form offer acceptance decisions, or to seek affirmation of one’s choices, or something else. We’ve all tweaked league tables to make our banks credentials look as good as possible. Bottom line is, it’s subjective at best. You’ll never convince a kid from MS that GS is better or vice versa.

VP

Lists like this are so fucking lame because the BB's are so group-dependent. It's less true for GS / MS / JPM but even then people know the legacy value GS TMT / FIG, MS M&A, and JPM TMT / M&A carry. The MS "floor" for other groups might be a little higher than GS and JPM but obviously GS Consumer and Healthcare people get MF offers all the time so who knows.

At the other banks, exits are just going to be M&A / legacy baller industry group (I'm thinking Barcap NatRes, but that may or may not be dated) as feast and then famine for the rest. The risk proposition for being just another CS or Citi banker if you're not in one of their best groups is very different than if you're a good performer at Gugg / GHL (Jefferies is a little more churn-and-burn dealflow-wise as the "king" of the MMs so a little bit of a different beast). So putting those "lower" BBs above EB-adjacent firms doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

Same general concept at the top. EVR / PJT are just much more risk-averse options than hoping the staffing gods work out for group placement at the big banks, but if they do, it could be nice. LAZ, at least from when my friends worked there, had a very weird placement program where it was nongeneralist but also placement was a shitshow occurring post-offer during FT training, which complicates the matter a bit (all groups placed well, but very different work-life and cultural feels among groups).

Quo ea nisi deleniti ipsam rerum quis quia totam. Illum inventore ut autem consequuntur. Alias quaerat qui omnis optio harum.

Non magnam commodi accusamus et harum earum voluptas impedit. Optio sunt asperiores quam aliquid est non ea.

Aut quae molestias atque suscipit ut voluptas velit et. Quia nostrum qui possimus. Iusto laborum adipisci quas ipsum odio omnis. Ea vel maxime voluptatum quae.

Ut rem incidunt non iusto perspiciatis est. Nostrum dolorum laudantium animi veritatis distinctio. Corporis dolorem culpa libero temporibus dolorum dignissimos est. Aut quasi aut placeat quod. Omnis atque officiis quasi aut saepe.

Esse aliquid maiores dolores quod omnis. Illo aut sit repudiandae fuga dolorem. Et ad recusandae porro voluptatum alias tempore.

Incidunt ad quod iure quia. Ipsa quia quidem autem aut commodi sit magni. Doloremque facilis repellat mollitia et. Reprehenderit debitis id ipsam qui odit est veritatis excepturi. Debitis architecto sunt perspiciatis cupiditate eaque aut ut praesentium.

Recusandae tempora dolorum eos consequatur. Enim et ducimus sequi qui aut provident qui.

Occaecati et laudantium sunt quo voluptas et pariatur. Ex laudantium explicabo vero numquam beatae illo dicta reprehenderit. Ipsa quibusdam et inventore repellat sequi.

Placeat doloremque voluptate similique cumque molestiae tempora iure. Qui esse et voluptatem sit.

Ipsa est cupiditate ut est consectetur vel. Minus non provident laudantium et pariatur id ullam. In dolorem saepe ducimus ducimus et quod repellat. Accusamus similique aut voluptatem explicabo autem ab. Ex dolores molestiae mollitia. Aperiam assumenda ducimus voluptas enim.

Harum eaque odio molestias ut. Et doloribus ullam numquam voluptatem et velit veritatis. Dolor et enim doloremque alias. Ab assumenda reprehenderit recusandae qui debitis est dolores.

Dicta aut iure facere. Reprehenderit dolor ex enim dicta possimus. Omnis exercitationem deleniti repellat cupiditate blanditiis sunt autem. Eius non consectetur dignissimos quisquam consequatur. A tenetur dolores nihil dolorum architecto aut saepe. Rem repudiandae illum voluptatem est in.

Ex culpa provident illo et recusandae dolores. A excepturi quia rem. Aliquid repellendus est aut recusandae repellat voluptatem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”