60 Hour Weeks, Rural Locations, 100k starting salary: what type of finance is right for me?

What sort of finance job should I pursue? I'm currently an Econ/History double major at HYP.Criteria:
1. starting salary >=100k
2. for the first two years, 80 hours or less per week; after 2 years, 60 hours or less per week
3. Additionally, after ten years or fewer, I want to be able to move to back home a pretty rural area: population 60k

I've heard Asset Management or F500 jobs fit the first two criteria, but I have not heard anything about the 3rd (location).

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Best Response

This is literally entitlement and being a millennial at it's finest...I can't even handle it...

Let me get this straight.......

You attended an ivy, graduated with a non-quant degree (I'm going to assuming the Econ is a BA because of History)...you have a decent GPA relative to your peers and YOU want to set your hours and make $100k coming out of college while living on a fucking farm?

3 seems fucking impossible to me without being some sort of freelancer. The only thing I can think of is being a broker, but is there any money there? Also, starting salary won't be $100K.

Why such a specific geographical focus? Something has to give, you can't have it all, despite what some feminists would have you believe.

Well, sounds tough to hit the 100k out of the gate, but I would say grain trading/merchandising. Also, there are metro areas that are a half hour-hour to the middle of no where. You may not hit $100k, but your cost of living would be down vs a major metro area. Cargill, ADM and Bunge come to mind. I am sure there are others. There also are bound to be some PWM shops in different areas that may be more rural.

Only two sources I trust, Glenn Beck and singing woodland creatures.

I had a friend that traded grain in the middle of nowhere right out of school. After completing their program(1.5yrs) and actually getting to trade a book, his first year bonus was >$500k. Different market a couple of years ago, but still not bad.

26 Broadway where's your sense of humor?

where's your hometown? are we talking something like Lawrenceville GA that's near Atlanta? or are we talking something remote like Minot ND?

reason being, if you live in a small town and aren't a software architect that can work remote, you will not be able to find good work, there's a reason your hometown is small, because there's no opportunity. however, if you live in a small town that's near a big city, you could certainly work in the city center and just have a longer commute.

finally, you need to figure out what interests you, not just looking for a 6 figure job that's cushy, because that kinda attitude will get you nowhere in life.

I have a friend who earns $1897831/hour working from home just a few hours a week! They just bought a new McLaren p1 and a 5000 sq foot mansion! No degree, experience, intelligence or work ethic required whatsoever! He did it and you can too! Check out this site!

Damnentitledmillenials.com/getrealbuttercup

....besides that, I think you're in for a rude awakening regarding how the world works.

The no BS answer to this is that you're probably not going to get 100k but 70-90k is a little more realistic and you don't NEED to make 100k at 22 when your rent is 1000 bucks. I've noticed a ton of AM, ER, etc. shops sometimes are in cheaper areas of the midwest. Probably your best bet besides going to a major F500 that is in the middle of nowhere or PWM (which isn't easy for someone with your attitude).

Suscipit voluptas molestiae facere quis quo. Et cupiditate qui et cumque voluptatem rem et. Vel fuga non dolorem aspernatur.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”