Chicago SA 2011

I just wanted to get a thread going for those of us who will be in Chicago this summer, although I'm guessing it'll be a pretty small group. Has anybody started looking for housing yet or have any recommendations?

I am trying to decide between Chicago and New York offers. Why did you choose Chicago?

My reasoning for Chicago was pretty simple: I had a significantly better offer there. I would say the primary benefit of Chicago is the lower cost of living (which means higher quality of life at an analyst salary, if you're looking ahead to FT). You likely take a hit in prestige, networking and exit opps though, but you can make up for those.

Also, BB or MM in Chicago/New York?

Both MM, Chicago offer is arguably a bit better than New York. I keep going back and forth on these two offers.

Best Response

Guys,

Take it from someone who is from Chicago but will be working in NYC next year... Chicago is the best city there is. The summer's especially are awesome. There's really nothing that can compare to watching fireworks over the lake or going to the taste of chicago (huge food festival in the middle of the city) or even lollapalooza. I tried so hard to get an internship/job offer in Chicago but since I go to school in the east it was pretty hard and that's how I ended up in NYC. If neither of you are from Chicago, or have never been there, I strongly recommend going there. You won't regret it. The quality of life definitely will be better at the analyst level, and there is a huge young crowd. If you have any city specific questions feel free to PM me.

TwoFloors:
Guys,

Take it from someone who is from Chicago but will be working in NYC next year... Chicago is the best city there is. The summer's especially are awesome. There's really nothing that can compare to watching fireworks over the lake or going to the taste of chicago (huge food festival in the middle of the city) or even lollapalooza. I tried so hard to get an internship/job offer in Chicago but since I go to school in the east it was pretty hard and that's how I ended up in NYC. If neither of you are from Chicago, or have never been there, I strongly recommend going there. You won't regret it. The quality of life definitely will be better at the analyst level, and there is a huge young crowd. If you have any city specific questions feel free to PM me.

Thanks TwoFloors.

I am also from Chicago and can second this. Quality of life, cost of living, and the nightlife in Chicago are amazing. It is hell in the winter but totally worth it for the summers.

I will be at a BB in Chicago this summer. I haven't begun looking for housing yet, waiting for a few more friends to accept certain offers to figure out who I am living with.

There are a few threads here at WSO if you search with recommendations for good housing places in Chicago. Need to figure out which neighborhood you will be doing most of your drinking in!

quasi, BB or MM in Chicago?

acronymous:
I also live in Chicago and echo everyone's sentiment. I know a lot of SA's live in the Buckingham so easy to meet people that way if you're not from the area.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. More than happy to help.

Wow awesome consensus. A friend of mine was just saying how awesome the Buckingham was for SA's. Sounds like the place to be.

The Buckingham is definitely an option I've considered. It's furnished, not too expensive, and close to work. The only downsides are that the rooms are pretty damn small and isn't that area a dead zone during the night and on weekends? But of course, neither of those things matter if I'm just going back to sleep and I can always catch the el/taxi on weekends, right?

quasi:
The Buckingham is definitely an option I've considered. It's furnished, not too expensive, and close to work. The only downsides are that the rooms are pretty damn small and isn't that area a dead zone during the night and on weekends? But of course, neither of those things matter if I'm just going back to sleep and I can always catch the el/taxi on weekends, right?

Definitely nothing going on in the loop on nights/weekends. Most people cab or L to LP, etc. Subletting can be sketchy sometimes, and last thing you want is some rando roommate who's loud at night when you need to get some sleep. If it's an option, definitely recommend living in LP, Lakeview or River North vs Buckingham. But if you're going in blind, Buckingham is a solid option.

Is anybody looking for roommates for a sublet, or have people just decided to live in the Buckingham? I've been looking at Craigslist every day, but most of the stuff I've seen so far is for move in before June still.

Nihil quas ad unde enim. Perferendis excepturi eaque et eos in ratione est. Eos a est porro quis quis animi eos.

Laboriosam et id eum iure numquam. Officia hic nulla enim doloribus repellendus. Facilis velit quod ut ex natus nihil nulla. Rerum odio occaecati vel amet.

Voluptates id quam consequatur alias. Aut excepturi illum at iure cum et.

Velit sint quis ipsa. Eveniet voluptatem rerum et voluptas. Nihil ut velit labore hic aut reiciendis. Enim expedita quaerat ut beatae. Corporis tempora qui praesentium aut. Ut assumenda ex est voluptas perspiciatis.

Et libero quisquam non minus enim quae. Iste dolores aut sapiente itaque accusantium sit ullam. Tempora aut facilis ut qui nihil perspiciatis. Molestias repudiandae et explicabo mollitia temporibus quia rem quasi. Omnis qui fugit harum iure fugit sed corporis fugit. Ut est ratione beatae facilis alias incidunt et. Velit ea architecto voluptatem voluptatibus qui iure.

Ullam totam qui non fugit dolores iure. Necessitatibus et impedit exercitationem natus. Nihil fugiat asperiores consequatur iste cumque a quo voluptas.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”