Decent Hours Job with ~$200k Comp

Are there any 9-5 positions other than software development where you can lateral from IB and make decent comp e.g $200k? Context would be 10 years of IB experience and want to make it to soccer/football practices. Thanks!

WSO Elite Modeling Package

• 6 courses to mastery: Excel, Financial Statement, LBO, M&A, Valuation and DCF
  • Elite instructors from top BB investment banks and private equity megafunds
  • Includes Company DB + Video Library Access (1 year)

Comments (102)

May 27, 2020 - 3:50pm

Senior Manager in corp fin should sort of clear that, Director for sure. Corp strategy, corp dev. May not be "9-5" but better and more predictable than banking.

Be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes.
May 28, 2020 - 10:56am

10 year IB easily justifies Director+ for CS / CD

I've seen people with 2-4 years IB come in at the senior associate / manager levels.

Hours will probably be 8-6 or 9-7 but with COVID a lot of seniors have been logging off at 5, answering emails remotely while spending time with family, then reconnecting with the teams later in the afternoon / catching up at 8-9pm. I'd imagine a version of this will continue once we're back in the office.

Most Helpful
May 27, 2020 - 6:01pm

I respect the hour situation. Probably going to have family at some point and I really want to be involved with the kid's activities too. Money doesn't mean jack if you sacrifice your whole life. I know there are several jobs that pay pretty well such as commercial lending. Know quite a few VPs/EVPs for regional banks that are making a couple hundred thousand and seem to be generally out at 5. Some F500 finance jobs pay pretty well with good work/life. Also look into companies like Amazon and MSFT within their finance divisions. These companies have amazing cultures.

Array

Learn More

300+ video lessons across 6 modeling courses taught by elite practitioners at the top investment banks and private equity funds -- Excel Modeling -- Financial Statement Modeling -- M&A Modeling -- LBO Modeling -- DCF and Valuation Modeling -- ALL INCLUDED + 2 Huge Bonuses.

Learn more
May 30, 2020 - 7:05am

I will say Amazon, given that I have a few friends spread out across the org, can be a sweatshop but mostly just the SWE side which granted is the majority of people who recruit there but I'd say broader orgs within Amazon have amazing work cultures. Obviously this is highly dependent on your group but my friends who work there in non-SWE functions (advertising, AWS Bizdev etc) seem to love it there. But talk about layers and bureaucracy there my god.. having to write a 20 page document to justify anything you do with material effect is asinine but true

May 28, 2020 - 7:08am
Leverage Hero:

strategy jobs at tech companies (but you'll be comped in stock)

You'll be comped in both. The cash component is significant.

“Millionaires don't use astrology, billionaires do”
May 27, 2020 - 6:30pm

Private Wealth Management 100%

What concert costs 45 cents? 50 Cent feat. Nickelback.

May 28, 2020 - 10:30am

Exactly this. I'm in strategy at a large commercial bank and the corporate banking RMs can certainly clear $200 - $300k in a year and most of their time is spent locally with clients and get to attend sporting events, concerts, dinners, etc. on the company dime.

Coming from IB, as long as you have some sales experience, you'd be a great pickup for most of these banks.

May 27, 2020 - 7:28pm

VP level at an asset manager is probably your best bet - happy to give you more about my personal experience over DM.

Joshua Friedman, CFA
@yoshfriedman

Jun 15, 2021 - 10:27pm

Tf is the ebitda on a local organic farm.. I think with the localized margins you're better off housing it as a grow up and sell some loud on the side to increase reach.. that's local homegrown stuff.. or as the teens call it.. exotic....

May 28, 2020 - 8:36pm

At reputable funds/firms a few of the support roles get paid pretty well. The closer you get to senior people the more value you add and your tasks become more complex (you are paid to anticipate what the senior person needs and keep things moving forward).

The "junior" support roles at the top places will be $80-120k. The more senior support roles (titles will vary across firm) actually get pretty high ($250-350k) but tend to cap around there. But it can be stressful as you are supporting people who can have hectic schedules and there is definitely stress involved.

Array
May 28, 2020 - 1:12pm

Just out of curiosity, are there ever people who became senior in corp dev etc and then moved into being a senior banker for a few years? Sounds pretty amazing if you could do that and sidestep the execution side of IB. Saw a lot of people in f500 corp dev who were never in IB after a quick linkedin search.

Also, not qualified to answer OP's question, but maybe investor relations is another option?

Array

May 28, 2020 - 1:46pm
benjokal:

Just out of curiosity, are there ever people who became senior in corp dev etc and then moved into being a senior banker for a few years? Sounds pretty amazing if you could do that and sidestep the execution side of IB. Saw a lot of people in f500 corp dev who were never in IB after a quick linkedin search.

Also, not qualified to answer OP's question, but maybe investor relations is another option?

I have seen this, and most of the time they are terrible bankers and would've made more had they stayed in corp dev.

• VP in PE - Growth
May 28, 2020 - 2:03pm

At 10 years of experience, there are many jobs that offer $200k+ and 40 hrs/week. As posters above have mentioned, asset management is a good one (you make much more than $200k if you are on the investment or distribution side of a large long only shop). There are certain segments of PE/VC where 40-50 hrs is possible, e.g. secondaries / FoF

• Analyst 1 in IB-M&A
May 29, 2020 - 6:35am

Wouldn't secondaries/fof with some experience (assume VP level) be paid way above $200k? I thought associates get around that in secondaries. I would assume VP levels in secondaries clear $400k while working ~50-55ish hours?

May 28, 2020 - 8:01pm

I can see the commercial banking / lending market getting as competitive as IB in the near future because of this thread...

Will update my computer soon and leave Incognito so I will disappear forever. How did I achieve Neanderthal by trolling? Some people are after me so need to close account for safety.
May 29, 2020 - 2:56pm

I've heard it depends on the background of th etop people. Know a few friends at start-ups who say they are working near banking hours on weekdays because their managers were former bankers and haven't gotten over that lifestyle of working at least until 12am every day

Heard Juul corp dev used to work 100+ hours or something

Will update my computer soon and leave Incognito so I will disappear forever. How did I achieve Neanderthal by trolling? Some people are after me so need to close account for safety.
Jun 1, 2020 - 9:29am

How has no one mentioned plain vanilla CF at a F500? After 10 years of IB you'd almost certainly exit at a Senior Manager/Director level, with comp of $200k+.

Jun 1, 2020 - 4:25pm

You'd have to survive 10 years in IB (pretty much D or MD level) to think about that.

• Summer Associate in IB - Ind
Jun 1, 2020 - 4:48pm

I know associates that have been offered CF roles with $200k in total comp.

Jun 11, 2021 - 5:25pm

To my understanding, Commercial Real Estate has good comp and similar hours to this, except you may have to wine and dine clients which takes up your nights. With your experience you could easily do the job of a relationship manager and work in lending. The only caveat is that CRE is very relationship based and requires local knowledge so that may be tough coming from IB

Jun 11, 2021 - 7:26pm

I would say some kind of business position in the defense industry.  Less than 200k but adjusted for COL, more than enough.  Full of smart but lazy people who can do whatever they want cause they have clearance.  

Start Discussion

Total Avg Compensation

June 2021 Investment Banking

• Director/MD (9) $911
  • Vice President (35) $364
  • Associates (205) $232
  • 2nd Year Analyst (115) $151
  • Intern/Summer Associate (97) $145
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (27) $145
  • 1st Year Analyst (422) $131
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (340) $82