ER at GS, IB at Citi or L/S analyst at a £400m HF (owned by Millennium) ?

Hello,

I have 3 offers for my end of study internship but I would like to have your views on this choice.

To give you more details about the HF:

the fund is owned by Millennium (one of the rare external manager for Millennium)

there are only the 2 founders in the fund (both PM, divided into sector and both former PM at Millennium for 10years)

I would work for the 2 PM as equity analyst

By the way, do you think I can write « Millennium » on my resume ? Millennium actually pay the office, the sell side research and everything else except the coffee.

My end goal and my dream job is to work in Hedge fund but do you think it can have a better impact to do IBD at Citi or ER at GS before?

Actually, the HF offer is, for the moment only an internship. I want to maximise my chances to get into a large HF full time. Thats why I don’t know what is the best signal.

If it was directly at P72 or Millennium I would have choose easily but the fund is not as large and I’m scared this will put me in a category compared to the guys coming from BB IBD.

Ok i will not write Millennium on my CV. I haven’t mentioned that Millennium created this fund because they didn’t want to let go the 2 PMs.

If your long-term goal is L/S hedge fund than the hedge fund offer is a no brainer. It is direct buyside experience (even if only an internship) and even if you are unable to secure a full time offer, it is also applicable experience to recruit full time for ER which is path of least resistance for L/S equity (particularly pod shops like Millennium). Now if you goal is to work at an event driven fund or distressed credit fund or other strategy (ones that historically take IB + PE candidates), IB may be the path of least resistance compared to market neutral L/S.

Also echo above, don't write Millennium on Resume. HF space is small, other L/S will know the fund or a simple google can figure out what it is if unclear

Are Citi and GS both also internships or are they FT? Frankly I'm very tempted to recommend IB at Citi just because of the optionality that gives later (if Citi is an FT position).

Responding to other things you've said: Size of fund is somewhat irrelevant. So don't go thinking just because you can write Millennium on your CV then you're golden. 

If it's truly GS ER it's hard to pass that up because you may place into an even better buyside role after 1-3 years. Idk, you do you but I would be very tempted by GS ER if it's in London & they are all internships.

Labore quibusdam in quod pariatur magnam. Aut quod magnam distinctio voluptate. Voluptatem sequi aperiam animi qui dolorem et earum. Rerum qui dolor aliquam saepe aut incidunt dolorem.

Non sint delectus et ipsum dicta cupiditate modi. Hic sed maxime aut quo sit doloribus. Quaerat reprehenderit repellendus accusamus error dolore perspiciatis. Illum vero vitae quo eum et.

Blanditiis rerum incidunt aut quis libero velit. Nostrum aut est et quaerat. Dolorum consequatur et non aut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Point72 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.9%
  • Citadel Investment Group 96.8%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • AQR Capital Management 94.7%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Magnetar Capital 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.8%
  • Blackstone Group 96.8%
  • Two Sigma Investments 95.7%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.6%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• AQR Capital Management 99.0%
  • Point72 97.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 96.9%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.8%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Portfolio Manager (9) $1,648
  • Vice President (23) $474
  • Director/MD (12) $423
  • NA (6) $322
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (24) $287
  • Manager (4) $282
  • Engineer/Quant (71) $274
  • 2nd Year Associate (30) $251
  • 1st Year Associate (73) $190
  • Analysts (225) $179
  • Intern/Summer Associate (22) $131
  • Junior Trader (5) $102
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (250) $85
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”