Financial Modeling World Championships 2013

this is ridiculous

"Hi XXX,

I'm lead organizer of the Financial Modeling World Championships 2013 (www.modeloff2013.com).

It's a fun and educational competition for people in corporate finance, Investment Banking and related industries that love numbers. With your Finance background, we thought this might be of interest.

The top 16 from around the world will be flown to the New York Finals. First prize is $30,000 USD. Rounds 1 and 2 are online.

If interested, you can learn more and register at www.modeloff2013.com.

Feel free to get in contact if you have any questions or would like to disucss the competition further.

Thanks for your time.

Warm regards"

jec:

nerdy as fuck

^This. Modeling, when making an investment, should just be a tool to help you asses the value of an asset. If you can't make justified assumptions or put the results in context, then what's the use of even spending all that time putting together a model?

I've had the same experience with coding. It's easy to get off-topic when coding new problems, to a point where it's just a plain waste of time.

Ya, I have watched the video before - it is pretty ridiculous. At least with coding tournaments there is a real purpose.

You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake, son.

The site has been acting a bit funny and I think that my last comment was lost in cyberspace but I just saw this in a Dealbreaker post earlier today and can say these guys/girls are so talented it's insane. Check out the Q&A. Would love to know if anyone on this site has competed and how they did. Frankly I get it if you don't say anything unless you made it to a final round and all. Not hating, just as jealous as anything to have this level of advanced knowledge. Crazy.

skylinegtr94:

The site has been acting a bit funny and I think that my last comment was lost in cyberspace but I just saw this in a Dealbreaker post earlier today and can say these guys/girls are so talented it's insane. Check out the Q&A. Would love to know if anyone on this site has competed and how they did. Frankly I get it if you don't say anything unless you made it to a final round and all. Not hating, just as jealous as anything to have this level of advanced knowledge. Crazy.

where did you find that Q&A?

I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars, buddy. A player. Or nothing. See my Blog & AMA

One more brain vomit here - idea from world series of poker. Someone needs to set up a keyboard view to records some of these guys going through the exercises paired with an on screen view to show the progress and watch the mistakes and those that absolutely crush it. WSO posted an example formatting challenge a short while back. Just taking that to the next level or two with some of the best in the world (that know about this and entered anyways).

skylinegtr94:

One more brain vomit here - idea from world series of poker. Someone needs to set up a keyboard view to records some of these guys going through the exercises paired with an on screen view to show the progress and watch the mistakes and those that absolutely crush it.

Completely agree, but I doubt they'll do it.

The 2012 video shows some of them doing work on Excel.

Edit: Blonde chick is cute.

This competition boast quite a few guys that I wouldn't have expected to compete in this kind of tournament, ie Analysts from GS etc. Why are so many people hating on this?

I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars, buddy. A player. Or nothing. See my Blog & AMA

Definitely get involved in it if you're in uni and have aspirations to work in banking. It's a basic part of any analyst's day to day work. It's not just a tool, it's an essential part of every deal and at the end of the day the deal comes down to what the model shows.

There's a category for working professionals and one for those at university so you can compare your performance against your peer group and not have to worry about having the pros wipe the floor with you if you're a beginner. If you want something to put on your resume before you go for internships or grad roles, then this comp is definitely a good value add for you.

sean833:

Definitely get involved in it if you're in uni and have aspirations to work in banking. It's a basic part of any analyst's day to day work. It's not just a tool, it's an essential part of every deal and at the end of the day the deal comes down to what the model shows.

There's a category for working professionals and one for those at university so you can compare your performance against your peer group and not have to worry about having the pros wipe the floor with you if you're a beginner. If you want something to put on your resume before you go for internships or grad roles, then this comp is definitely a good value add for you.

Qui ipsum consectetur ipsa provident et illum cumque. Sunt voluptatibus ipsa itaque maiores perferendis. Ex rerum dolorem minima vitae qui praesentium. Error voluptates minima id officiis perferendis qui blanditiis voluptates. Sunt sit unde non et aut maiores debitis.

Debitis voluptas voluptate nemo ut autem perferendis. At officia molestiae est. Qui harum et qui adipisci qui dignissimos maiores. Sed unde sed aperiam ad.

Ut culpa voluptate incidunt a expedita vitae dolorem ea. Sapiente consequatur optio necessitatibus enim sed dolore. Quia sed enim est temporibus.

Dolor rerum et illum vitae. Magnam qui voluptatem sunt. Cum expedita odio molestias mollitia. Similique quidem maxime temporibus aut consequatur deleniti eos.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”