Have $100k in liquid assets, where to invest?

Just got my sign on bonus and made a good amount of money in college trading/e-commerce and signed with an EB that pays insane bonus. Equities are overvalued and debt doesn’t have any yield. Where should I invest my money?

Parents also paid for my whole college experience (thanks mom & dad)

Depends on where you are - in a lower COL area you might be able to snag a multi family with some reasonable cash cushion for repairs, upkeep, issues, etc. Where I am, market is screaming right now. Things are flying off - anything with a cap rate that's >0 in decent shape is snapped up. Even those that aren't in great shape, also snapped up.

Your issue will be getting a property that can deal with all the expenses you will be paying up for. More hands off = more carrying costs. Paying contractors, managers, etc. Will squeeze down the margin.

My last advice is to be realistic - know what you can afford, and keep a significant cash cushion. You'll need it.

One of my family members manages a combination of rental properties and commercial real estate. It’s a full time job. Maintenance is a constant headache and hiring a property manager squeezes your margins unless you have scale. I’m sure there are exceptions to this rule but this is what I’ve witnessed.

Put $10K on bitcoin for fun, it has already fully recovered from the March dip that affected all financial markets and is currently going up (+16% since July 26).

Prospect in IB - Gen:
Put $10K on bitcoin for fun, it has already fully recovered from the March dip that affected all financial markets and is currently going up (+16% since July 26).

Really? We all know that Beanie Babies are where it's at. (Hon. Mention for Pogs)

The only difference between Asset Management and Investment Research is assets. I generally see somebody I know on TV on Bloomberg/CNBC etc. once or twice a week. This sounds cool, until I remind myself that I see somebody I know on ESPN five days a week.

You looking to purchase a home 1 day? Could be your downpayment fund. I'd keep at least 20k in cash for easy access. Maybe throw some in the stock market. You say it's overvalued, but we all know stocks only go up.

Money can purchase freedom, if you have the guts to buy it

If not considering real estates, I would just put them in some investment grade corporate bond and some equity index for now if I were you since people owrking in IB probably won't have time to manager their own portfolios. Equities will go down more someday and then buy more at the dip.

My good friend Mr. Barry McKockiner was able to 10x my money within a year. I highly recommend his services. You can reach him on Instagram @hugefaggot69

Well, seen as how shit the US economy is at the moment, it would be wise to invest in physical safe haven assets like Gold. Put your money into gold and mining stocks for the long run, maybe a gold etf like van eck or vanguard ones should play out well. Also, if you want to trade, take advantage of the tech bubble that is going on right now, so apple, Microsoft, zoom, that sort of thing. PayPal and Shopify are both on a huge climb that has been going on since the start of the year and wasn't affect by bloody march, so that could be an option too. Hope this helps!

Well, seen as how shit the US economy is at the moment, it would be wise to invest in physical safe haven assets like Gold. Put your money into gold and mining stocks for the long run, maybe a gold etf like van eck or vanguard ones should play out well. Also, if you want to trade, take advantage of the tech bubble that is going on right now, so apple, Microsoft, zoom, that sort of thing. PayPal and Shopify are both on a huge climb that has been going on since the start of the year and wasn't affect by bloody march, so that could be an option too. Hope this helps!

Most Helpful

Set aside ~9-12 months of expenses as an emergency fund - lay-offs and burnout are real. That'll set you back ~$30k min., mostly dependent on your rent. You'll need to put a deposit down for a nice flat, that'll be another $3-5k. Now you have $65k left. You probably need to upgrade your wardrobe a bit for when you start working (1-2 suits, dress shoes, ~5 shirts, a tie or two), that'll be another ~2-4k dependent on your taste. Fill-up your holiday fund for the first year so you're always a year ahead on it and never have to worry, can just repeat from there (~$6-8k).

Now you have ~$55k left. Take that money and drip it into the market slowly by ~$5k per month for the next year or so; top it up with any additional savings if you manage to get there. Either the choice of going all-in now or staying on the sidelines is shortsighted, or your should become a trader if you're so sure about your assessment and make a few milli. Would suggest to target at least 70-80% index funds and the rest in stocks you like if that's something you enjoy being involved with. Otherwise just dump all of it into index funds and don't think about it anymore.

For the market in general look at $VTSAX.

If you want to go more tech heavy (which is where a lot of the current growth is coming from, i.e. WFH, entertainment, payments, e-commerce) then I'd look at $VGT and $XLK (both have ~40-45% combined across Apple and Microsoft).

If you want to go more heavy into ecommerce, $FDIS has ~35% AMZN. Do keep in mind most e-commerce ETFs are consumer discretionary indexes, meaning you won't get the same exposure to tech.

Imagine saying equities are overvalued. Most of the "recovery" has just boosted the high market cap stocks in the NDAQ 100, there's literally tons of opportunity out there. Defense and Manufacturing will literally never go away, I'd say throw half your money into RTX, HII, LMT, SPR, BA, etc. and the other half into whatever you want. Wait 5 years and then tell me if I'm wrong. You can try to time the bubble too, but that usually doesn't work out too well :/

Array

Huge sign on cash bonus? You could have just said Jeffries

Error magnam fugiat omnis quasi voluptatum. Totam quas voluptatem illum et accusantium accusamus nihil sed. Dolore eaque illo sunt voluptatibus rerum officia. Nobis qui perferendis aliquid libero beatae et.

Ullam eveniet eius voluptatem ad. Optio qui minus voluptas voluptatem distinctio animi inventore.

Nam quis repellat perferendis saepe quasi similique porro. Ab sed vero mollitia pariatur impedit cumque quod.

Ipsa vitae est ipsam voluptatem. Nihil adipisci corporis quod debitis optio rerum. Quam nihil ratione omnis ut. Aut sit alias dolores dolor. Veritatis beatae non sed ad quod mollitia.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”