How the fuck are all these rising college freshmans getting summer internships for 2021

I have seen 10+ people in my LinkedIn network or close friends somehow get an internship at a boutique or a wealth management firm for this year (the summer before freshman year).  I dont know if this is unusual or the new normal... either way im kinda lost what i should do during the summer.

My plan is to work at a restuarant with my boys in the morning-afternoon and then go party/ road trips. However, I really dont want to be that one kid that shows up in the fall without doing anything productive.

P.S ending up at a semi-target? Alot of kids end up IB

Funniest

you either attend a target, or come from money. You will probably say neither (which is cap), but great job on landing a sick internship. 

I attend a top target: HYP. Contrary to popular belief, the only kids who landed these kinds of internships as freshmen had connections or were diversity (SEO, etc.). Even at targets, this isn't the norm. 

Sick of this kinda advice. Honestly you can never be too far ahead. Kids start research projects and leadership development shit in 9th grade to get into targets like HSW. If you wanna do IB there is no reason not to start learning and preparing early. You can still easily enjoy your youth. I had an internship following my senior year and it has done nothing but help. Sorry for the rant but really just wanted to tell everyone to buzz off about ambitious kids. 

its one thing to be ambitious, its another thing to be WAY too fixated on your career. Enjoy the one summer you have off, because you are gonna be grinding afterwards. Sure, look at some guides and do some prep here and there, doesn't mean you need to do a boutique IB internship in preschool and a BB in kindergarten. Be ambitious, but enjoy times when you can.

I'll follow up this guy's take with something a bit more mild. I think it's still pretty easy to do some random PWM internship throughout your freshman summer and still have a lot of time to have fun. My freshman summer I did a small PWM internship for like 6 weeks just to get something on my resume and spent the rest of the summer traveling with friends. Now obviously if you can't get anything, that's also fine. It's freshman summer and you should definitely take advantage of your last bit of freedom.

Okay. I took your advice and am working at Ben and Jerrys with my friends/Golfing and working out 24/7.

I know the recruiting process is much more accelerated, I was wondering do you have any advice on how I should navigate my freshman/soph year to be in a solid position for a top BB/EB?

Academic club to get in the mix with kids with similar ambitions and to make an easy connection with alumni in the industry.

Social club/sport to be a real person (have fun, socialize, gain life experience). People in banking don't like talking to people who lead boring lives with their free time, we're all jealous of your freedom and want to experience it vicariously. 

It's pretty simple: get in the mix on campus, be well rounded, and keep your head on a swivel.

Thank you for the advice. Somebody above said that I should network early. If you were/are/going to be an analyst on the street. Would you take somebody seriously if they networked before entering college? What's ur take on networking?

Most Helpful

Quidem ex enim velit occaecati. Impedit deserunt error autem repellendus. Incidunt et error accusamus.

Dolor fugiat nemo quasi quia. Repudiandae neque aperiam consequatur iste et dicta rerum. Voluptas nisi aut dolorum molestiae voluptates quisquam.

Omnis totam fugiat autem animi accusamus quas nihil. Sed excepturi ea libero quod sit. Eligendi odio dolorum ut optio unde quisquam maiores.

Itaque excepturi amet laborum quibusdam ex et vel. Dolorem dolores quos ut magnam et assumenda. Quis excepturi nihil qui in ut voluptatum qui. Et laboriosam sint eos commodi sunt harum natus illo. Quis laboriosam earum voluptatem.

Quia temporibus nam a fugiat quam saepe nostrum quisquam. Est corporis aut sunt. Et labore qui est aut enim sit quis. Necessitatibus ut explicabo at perferendis non.

Enim doloremque ullam asperiores sit dolorum. Consequatur neque nulla ut dolores et. Officiis dolorum voluptatem autem amet consequatur et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”