International Students - Sponsoring Banks SA 2021 Cycle

Hi fellow F-1 Visa students. Can we get a list of banks that won't even take a look at our resume for this SA 2021 cycle going? This topic has come up in the past but now with the new Exec Order the list just grows longer so it's ripe for an update.

Personal experience:

JPM, William Blair: this is certain 100%
UBS: 80% sure... they rejected me immediately, but maybe they'll sponsor top candidates?
Barclays: maybe. Application says "We want to recruit the best people for all our jobs, but there are certain criteria that we must satisfy as a minimum for legal reasons and to protect our customers. Unless we can satisfy these, unfortunately we may not be able to offer you a job." Maybe if we answer "Yes" for "Do you need authorization in the future" we're basically withdrawing our application already.

Any insights is appreciated. Cheers and let's make the best of the situation!

Barclays HR told me that I "may want to consider applying to S&T instead where we have historically sponsored candidates" when I asked about IBD sponsorship

Based on 2019 info (naming as many banks as i can from top off my head) *Note: when i say 'officially yes' it means that that is their official policy but ive struggled to come across any internationals there who needed sponsorship so it might just be a no * GS: officially yes JPM: Yes MS: Yes Citi: only some teams BoA: No Barlcays: Yes UBS: exceptional cases CS: Yes DB: Yes RBC Yes TD: exceptional cases BMO: No Scotia: Officially yes Guggenheim: No Evercore: Yes Moelis: Officially yes Greenhill: No

And obviously it goes without saying. Its harder to recruit as an international

youre welcome international monkeys

wish i had such a list few years ago. had to piece around quite a bit and went on quite a few dead ends

however as a fellow international my advice is: focus on banks which talk to you but if opportunity arises for chats/meetups in a bank which doesnt sponsor then no harm talking.. if an MD or director likes you; they can pull strings as happened with a classmate

I know multiple internationals at GS. Someone from Citi told me they sponsor in general, but you may be right that some teams to more than others

Thanks for the list. Is there any bank that you would say is more "receptive" to sponsoring Internationals?

hey I had a really good relationship (i assume lol) w an MD at UBS Chicago. Do you think I should bring the sponsorship thing up to him before I apply? What should I say to bring this up to him lol ...Like idk if it is too rude to ask him to "take care of" my sponsorship but i guess i really have to if i want to apply to UBS... thx for the input;)

Yeah, indeed. Check their career site, almost every listing states "must be legally authorized to work in the U.S." or something like that. It breaks my heart lol

Most Helpful

How did you come up with this? Most of this is incorrect lol. BofA is one of the most supportive banks with sponsorship. MS and Barclays don't sponsor ( at least for IBD). JPM stopped too. You'll get an auto dinged at UBS if you're international. GS, BofA, DB and CS are the best when it comes to sponsoring/relocating if visa situation doesn't work out in the US.

Prospect in :
How did you come up with this? Most of this is incorrect lol. BofA is one of the most supportive banks with sponsorship. MS and Barclays don't sponsor ( at least for IBD). JPM stopped too. You'll get an auto dinged at UBS if you're international. GS, BofA, DB and CS are the best when it comes to sponsoring/relocating if visa situation doesn't work out in the US.

personal experience as of fall 2018.

Prospect in :
You'll get an auto dinged at UBS if you're international.

Can confirm. I got dinged one hour after applying or so, lol

Heard this as well. Maybe they need kids with more international background when it comes to S&T

Rerum natus reiciendis unde cupiditate. Mollitia dolor ut nobis et qui corporis aut. Iusto modi expedita voluptas dicta laborum aut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”