JPMorgan 2021 SA H1B Sponsorship

Application requires "authorization to work permanently in the US". This wasn't on the listing for 2020 SA last year. Won't JPMorgan sponsor this year because of COVID?

WSO Elite Modeling Package

• 6 courses to mastery: Excel, Financial Statement, LBO, M&A, Valuation and DCF
  • Elite instructors from top BB investment banks and private equity megafunds
  • Includes Company DB + Video Library Access (1 year)

Comments (49)

Learn More

300+ video lessons across 6 modeling courses taught by elite practitioners at the top investment banks and private equity funds -- Excel Modeling -- Financial Statement Modeling -- M&A Modeling -- LBO Modeling -- DCF and Valuation Modeling -- ALL INCLUDED + 2 Huge Bonuses.

Learn more
  • Intern in IB - Ind
Jun 14, 2020 - 2:19pm

I recruited SA2020 and while it wasn't on the job description, there was a portion in the application where you had to state your citizenship/sponsorship status.

I apologize and retract this statement (From what I know, they did not take international students to their US offices)

• Analyst 1 in IB - Gen
Jun 14, 2020 - 2:22pm

the only two divisions that take international students are IBD and S&T. other divisions usually don't

• Prospect in IB - Gen
Jun 14, 2020 - 8:50pm

Know for sure they sponsored last year. This year requires "permanent work authorization" though.

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Jun 15, 2020 - 8:29am

DO NOT do this. The chances are they'll check again before giving an offer or even after giving you an offer they could rescind it. And you had to go through all that just to realize that you have no job when you could've focused on those firm that do sponsor

Jun 16, 2020 - 3:02am

Some firms have stopped sponsoring visas b/c it's obscenely expensive for them to do so

Array

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Jun 16, 2020 - 3:05am

Highly doubt that's the reason it's a tiny item in their income statement - it's more like the possibility of losing a potential analyst and the uncertainty involved rather than the dollar cost of sponsoring one

Jun 16, 2020 - 9:17am

I believe the cost is between 15,000 to 20,000 per international student. This is completely unnecessary as there are thousands of US students who could fill that spot of the international. Add that to the fact that the Trump administration is reducing the amount of visa spots each year and you have the result of almost all banks paring down their programs and many will likely eliminate it altogether at some point if this trend continues. It's a hard reality but Americans need to look out for themselves first and then look to talent overseas

Most Helpful
  • Prospect in IB-M&A
Jun 16, 2020 - 2:36pm

Simple Google search will tell you it'll cost $11,000 max and that's only if they go for the H1B which btw is not necessary if the student is only going for an analyst stint (OPT can cover that).

And the way you stated it, it sounds like you think internationals are taking the job of 'thousands of US students'. Even with visa sponsorship firms can always choose to extend offers to US students - no one is forcing them to choose international students. But the fact that many have taken international students over US students obviously says something.

"Add that to the fact that the Trump administration is reducing the amount of visa spots each year" - Again false the number of spots for H1B hasn't been decreased under Trump although recently he's been playing with the idea of suspending for a period of time, but nothing has changed so far.

I hate to break it to you but if you think H1B visa reduces job available for Americans, that's simple not true - again a simple Google search will tell you the opposite. Here's one to get you started: http://www.newamericaneconomy.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/H1B_Effect…

Jun 14, 2020 - 7:33pm

Bump. What division were you looking at? Also where? LinkedIn may not be as accurate cause they're not supposed to open until July no?

Array
  • Prospect in IB - Gen
Jun 16, 2020 - 3:59am

yea but last year there was no "permanent work authorization" listed as key skills..

• Intern in IB - Ind
Jun 16, 2020 - 4:13pm

I have seen some roles that sponsored last year but don't this year even before covid => covid is not the key driver. I think is more to do with the unpredictable landscape of politics around immigration and seems like we - international students would be against the odds in the foreseeable future, with regards to legal issues.

• Intern in S&T - Other
Jun 24, 2020 - 2:33pm

Incoming 2020 intern in JPM NYC. HR told us they wouldnt sponsor international from 2021 SA cycle, requiring authorization to work permanently in the US

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Jun 24, 2020 - 2:42pm

How does it affect international students currently interning at JPM?

Start Discussion

Total Avg Compensation

July 2021 Investment Banking

• Director/MD (9) $911
  • Vice President (36) $363
  • Associates (209) $232
  • 2nd Year Analyst (120) $152
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (28) $146
  • Intern/Summer Associate (100) $145
  • 1st Year Analyst (439) $132
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (356) $82