First off, I am grateful to be in a position to make this decision. However, it has been stressful, and I am really torn.
Currently working at top BB (think GS/MS/JPM) AM arm as a first year analyst. Long term plan was always moving into quant HF after 1-2 years-ish. I took the AM BB job first as a hedge, since the HF industry is notorious for high turnover.
Recently interviewed with a quant HF (think Millennium, Citadel, AQR ). The process happened out of the blue, and I just went with it. I received an offer, but it is for ASAP start.
My main concern is moving too soon. (As a note, if this offer came one year from now, I would have taken it, almost no doubt). So main question is: how would quitting (my first job) after 6-8 months look on my resume? Does it matter that it is for an (arguably) better position (can be seen as the next step in a career). This question is especially problematic given the high turnover of the HF. I don't want end up a hire-and-fire. In that worst case scenario, how would quitting BB 6-8 months in and then getting fired from HF after a year or so look?
Second concern is that - I know it sounds like a weird concern - the interview process seemed relaxed and straightforward. I do not think I necessarily have the perfect skills for the job, and I am worried they just need someone to fill the position until they find someone better qualified. I have also heard that actually getting the job at these funds is not that impossible after coming from a good BB analyst program, but doing the jump too soon might get you fired and kill your career. On the other hand, I do not want to pass this opportunity and not find a good enough alternative in a year or so.
Also, for what it's worth I like my current job, and I don't know exactly what I would be doing in the new role. Pay is better in the new role, but I would not factor current pay that much in my decision (expected value of future pay is the decision driver here)
Thank you in advance for any insights.