Making 100K+ with little experience

Hi guys I'm a long term lurker of wallstreetoasis.

I'm trying to break into the consulting industry and already have been assigned projects at a big 4 firm (Part time not full time).
However, they have paid me on the projects at a salary of 50K/year, which is awfully low.

I just was told that my friend at doing software engineering first year out of undergrad is getting 130K at Amazon.

My questions is:
1. ###How do I find management consultant positions? Using glassdoor and other sites, typing management consultant doesn't really find any positions. Typing Analyst/Associate on the firm's job site doesn't help either. Most people they are looking for are seniors.
2. What are some firms paying 100K+ for entry level management consultants?

It is very apparent through the messages no one understands what I was looking for, for that reason, I've bolded what I'm looking for. To all the donkey trolls who say oh wow out of college u can't get 100k, I've had multiple 80K offers, with a 2.8 GPA, and go to a non target school. Did I mention I only applied 6-8 places?

One of the teachers at my school became partner in 4 years, TO WSO IMPOSSIBLE. Lol wake up guys, people actually doing something with there life. Not slaving away for 50k a year lol.

sounds like you have a lot of to learn which makes me wonder what got you your current haf time consultant kob at first place?

1. half-time role with 50k is not bad at all and it is highly unfair to compare it with a fulltime salary.

2. regarding recruitment, reach out to your on campus recruiter (assume you are graduating / recently graduated?) they would hold tons of on campus recruitment events around this time. If you come from a nontarget school and consulting forms don't care, reach out to the recruiter at the one you are working for right now at least.

3. what is your academic background? not a lot of firms would pay above 100k for undergrads, but well above for masters/phds.

The salary doesnt care about your debt. Nor does the debt care about the salary.

$50K sounds appropriate for what you have described.

Not sure why you are comparing yourself to someone doing a completely different job. It's not even apples to oranges, its apples to fish.

Create a budget, develop your skill set, work your way in to a position you like.

to be honest, why don't you go to a software engineer bootcamp, and get a 100k entry level cs job at google like your friend?

if you are fixed with finding a consulting job with 100k, then you can 1. apply to phd at target school and try afterwards. as undergrad,you will be considered as BA/or whatever entry level, and no one pays above 100k for that. 2. find a job now as an 'experienced' hire. 6 months part time probably doesn't mean anything if you really want yourself to be considered as 'experienced' though. 3. rule of thumb. Talk to RECRUITERS, not xxx.com/careers. job posts online are not for your role at all. find the contact info of the recruiters working in your region. as them! they are responsible for all the low level hires.

My friends who recruit for startups and tech companies have told me that these boot-camps are generally a waste of time/resources. They have a low hiring percentage unless you have relevant technical experience to show for it.

You are better off spending 1-2 years at college/university and earning experience, or attend a Master in Computer Science program at XYZ School and then applying for the tech companies.

No pain no game.

No offence but do some research. I'm in the same boat and have built a spreadsheet with all MC companies and links to the roles and deadlines. All top MC's have business analyst opportunities right now you just aren't looking hard enough. Also having graduated already from a non target you're unlikely to get 100k. Be realistic.

Hi Adam- Trying to answer your first question here. It seems as though all you need is some direction in finding the correct position. Try searching LinkedIn, Indeed, other job websites and searching various management consulting firms. Dont necessarily type the job title, spend time looking at open positions, maybe you shift your focus to a similar position just to get into the company? Perhaps you can also spend time making a Top 20 lists, navigating their websites, looking for positions, and reaching out to the recruiters that work internally to introduce yourself. You can do this by finding these contacts on LinkedIn. Sometimes a direct email to the recruiter seeking some advice on how to work at the company goes a long way. Have a good resume, cover letter to send along with that. You could also go old school and visit the companies to drop off your resume, a friend of mine did that 6 years ago and shes now an MD a small sized VC fund. As for 100K entry level jobs, Im not sure thats entirely realistic given just 6 months of experience. Its a competitive field requiring masters degrees as well as many getting in with referrals/who you know. Good luck and be patient

Most Helpful

adamisbest210 I'm just here to say I am a frequent user and love being able to help people who utilize this forum for good.

Having just read the first few responses - you're not somebody I would ever help. You come off as arrogant, entitled and frankly having put in little work on your own.

P.S. A software engineer at Amazon has literally nothing to do with management consulting....nothing. As somebody said, 'it's comparing apples to fish.'

P.P.S. You have demonstrated 0 life skills / sense of resourcefulness throughout this thread that would ever warrant you making $100k, let alone $50k or even less.

big 4 for undergrads starts at 55k (70k if you have a masters in accounting)...and they work you to the bone...12 hour days...pretty much all year round..more in busy season, which is 4 months of the year. Pretty much all accountants wish they had gotten into IB...at least they would get paid a little more per hour in the beginning...and the pay increases much faster for IB than accounting or consulting.

However, if you want to make better $$ per hour, and you don't have valuable skills to sell, you could always go into sales (pharma, insurance and financial products, tech, etc..)

These sales jobs often pay 100k-200k (mostly commission based...but if you are good, that is the avg range)

just google it...you're welcome

I am a pretty simple person. If you are able to put food on the table, have a roof over your head, pay your bills and have some leftover...then that's all there is. Reaching 100k+ takes a lot of resourcefulness, time, and experience in order to get there. I need to be able to wake up to a job I look forward to going to everyday, and if it pays enough to cover my basic necessities then I am all for it.

I have been told the same thing faceslappingcompilation , my friends in sales have mentioned their earnings were 100k+ on average (commission based stuff). This takes time to cultivate solid leads, commitment and good attitude/approach.

No pain no game.

Officiis quisquam fugiat voluptatem. Quibusdam blanditiis dolor et et quis accusamus delectus. Nesciunt optio omnis quo natus. Et nesciunt quisquam et tempora similique.

Exercitationem facilis id dolorem quidem suscipit autem reprehenderit. Sunt vitae error omnis sit porro hic porro. Aperiam qui sit quia rerum. Repellendus aspernatur ratione ad non id maxime dolorum. Voluptates architecto quia assumenda magnam maiores et iste. Vel maxime voluptas nihil quis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • Cornerstone Research 98.9%
  • McKinsey and Co 97.7%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.2%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Consulting

• Partner (4) $368
  • Principal (25) $277
  • Director/MD (55) $270
  • Vice President (47) $246
  • Engagement Manager (100) $226
  • Manager (152) $170
  • 2nd Year Associate (158) $140
  • Senior Consultant (331) $130
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (108) $130
  • Consultant (587) $119
  • 1st Year Associate (538) $119
  • NA (15) $119
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (146) $115
  • Engineer (6) $114
  • 2nd Year Analyst (344) $103
  • Associate Consultant (166) $98
  • 1st Year Analyst (1048) $87
  • Intern/Summer Associate (188) $84
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (552) $67
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”