So I'm in the process of applying to various MSF programs around the country and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the attributes, qualities and experiences one should I highlight on a MSF resume and cover letter. If anyone needs me to expand on my background and such, I can do that if it helps answer the question.
Let me know!
Advice for MSF Resumes
- MSF is very quantitatively based so highlight analytical ability either through jobs, internships, or course work (hopefully through all three)
- Show a passion for finance, highlight your involvement in finance clubs, personal investing, etc.
- Even if you are just preparing for the CFA Level I, show that in your resume
- For the cover letter: Show a clear focus of a career path you want to take
- For resume: Highlight previous internships as hard as possible, having work experience is big for many admissions departments
- Main goal in all of this is to show that you have a good understanding of 1) Why an MSF, 2) What you want to do post graduation, and 3) how an MSF will help you will this
- I would mention how you've been speaking with whatever school you are applying to's alumni and networking right away
- Make sure to try and tour the school or personally speak with admissions, don't be pushy or annoying, but it goes a long way to showing that you are serious
- Investment Banking Resume Template
- Resume and Cover Letter: A Reviewer's Perspective
- Cover Letter/Resume Advice
- The Best Resume and Cover Letter Posts on WSO
- AMA: Top 10 MBA vs MSF vs MMS
- MSF Question and Answer
Want Your Resume Reviewed by a Pro?
The WSO Resume Review Service has hand-picked the best professionals from thousands of currently practicing finance professionals... people who live and breathe their industry - day in and day out... who can tell you what's changing firsthand...who LOVE giving back and will keep you up-to-date on everything you need to polish your resume and land more interviews.