My Portfolio- 300% return in 6 months

After reading the thread about a member who achieved 140% return in 4 months on a paper account and seeing the responses to it, raising 100K in capital. I felt is if i could do the same. On my paper account I received a rate of return of 300.50% in the time between May 29 2010 and January 13th 2011. I admittedly used some risky stocks that I would not have normally invested in but most of my gains were made through trading leveraged SP 500 ETFs, like UPRO and SDS. I have changed my investing strategy since then after doing much research on the Grahm ideals of investing. Paper accounts are in realty not very accurate so before I start seeking capital and funding, for the next 6 months I will be posting my Picks for the coming month and how they faired in the last month. If you guys feel that you would like to use my strategy PM me, but for now I will provide my portfolio details for free.

Holding #1 (50%)

INTC (Intel) Call Option expiring Jan 21 2012 strike 17. 50
Current Price 4.60

Holding #2 (30%)

MMM (3m) Call Option expiring Jan 21 2012 Strike 85.00 (30%)
Current Price 7.85

Holding #3 (20%)

NFLX (Netflix) Put Option expiring Jan 21 2012 strike 230.00
Current Price: 44.95

lol, as long as he knows what risks he is taking, I don't think putting 100% capital in three ideas is wrong. But if you are really that sure about the future direction and speed of Intel or 3M to make outright directional bets with call options, why stop there, short the puts at the same strike while you are at it.... Then you probably will be making 3000% return (or infinite) in 6 month...

This is a fishy post. The guy has 4 banana points and is posting the details "for free", implying that if you PM him he will try to charge you for some fancy magic bullet that will guarantee you returns in the future.

I smell some SPAM cookin'

Wall Street leaders now understand that they made a mistake, one born of their innocent and trusting nature. They trusted ordinary Americans to behave more responsibly than they themselves ever would, and these ordinary Americans betrayed their trust.

Beef:
This is a fishy post. The guy has 4 banana points and is posting the details "for free", implying that if you PM him he will try to charge you for some fancy magic bullet that will guarantee you returns in the future.

I understand it seems like spam, that Is what I would have thought too. I honestly have been looking to share my portfolio for quite some time. I first tried "covestor" which was not what I was looking for and then found this site on google.

Best Response
Studiofan:
Beef:

I understand it seems like spam, that Is what I would have thought too. I honestly have been looking to share my portfolio for quite some time. I first tried "covestor" which was not what I was looking for and then found this site on google.

The fact that you are here replying probably means it's not spam, since most spammers don't come back to read their own spam.

Cheers mate, sorry for the accusation.

Threw a couple Silver Nanners your way. No hard feelings.

Wall Street leaders now understand that they made a mistake, one born of their innocent and trusting nature. They trusted ordinary Americans to behave more responsibly than they themselves ever would, and these ordinary Americans betrayed their trust.

The unfortunate thing about paper trades is that there's no way to verify if you've actually made the calls at the time that it mattered, or decided to spin the story post factum

More is good, all is better

Just watch out, if you start investing in stuff that is off the exchange and/or has extremely low volume because even though from what i can tell you aren't trading inside if you incite large volume in low volume paper you can be investagated

Follow the shit your fellow monkeys say @shitWSOsays Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

Beef, Thanks no hardfeelings. After spending a couple weeks on this site and revisiting this thread my OP seems so stupid. I apologize for that, my newbiness got the best of me. As far as the portfolio goes here is a link to it https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?hl=en&hl=en&key=tj1ExQErM-DRqmvy3El… Up about 10% for the 10 period since I posted it. The only change I will be making is cutting my holdings of INTC by 10% and adding 10% to my Put options on NFLX.

Very nice... I've played a little with options but to be honest they are still scary to me. I can't say I understand them well enough to make risky plays. Can you recommend any good sources for learning?

Beef:
Very nice... I've played a little with options but to be honest they are still scary to me. I can't say I understand them well enough to make risky plays. Can you recommend any good sources for learning?
There is a book that I read, I cant think the name of the top of my head, but when I remember I will post it. The thing that really gave me confidence in options is just I would find a stock I would normally purchase and try make a option investment paper. After a couple months of doing that and seeing thousands of option chains I really got a feel for how they work. Assuming you know some basic concepts about options just a little bit of familiarity and experience can allow you to make some very sound and rewarding investments using options.

The one advantage of doing call only purchases with options is that your loss is limited and your up side is infinate

Follow the shit your fellow monkeys say @shitWSOsays Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

Cumque eligendi vel vero minima voluptatum tempore eius dolor. Natus esse mollitia error sequi odit eum harum. Consequuntur et quo aut fugiat.

Ipsum earum dolorem debitis qui nihil iste. Dolorem est earum ipsam libero aut. Eum et facilis est sed animi iste voluptatem. Sed ullam fugit quibusdam nihil rem. Sit quia reiciendis et ad.

Qui nihil vel dolorem illum amet. Est placeat vitae consequatur quaerat id. Vel dolore et neque est. Iusto neque provident minus dolor velit et suscipit aut. Error quia incidunt ut totam cupiditate repudiandae. Doloribus voluptatibus ducimus quia eos exercitationem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”