I think Citi moves in behind Barclehs and CS. Tudor Pickering has been doing a lot of deals lately and Simmons consistently has very strong deal flow, albeit on more of the middle market deals. After that probably BAML and JP Morgan (assuming we are talking about Houston). I think GS is pretty strong in power but their Houston office leaves a lot to be desired. Same with MS.

Based on deal flow and PE placement, Simmons has to be ahead of JP Morgan. If you want to do something outside of finance/energy, then JP Morgan by all means. But it seems most people are interested in moving to the buyside and getting in to business school, which Simmons is very strong at (and I'm sure TPH will start placing people soon with all the M&A deals they have been doing).

Natural Resources at JP covers Oil & gas, power, chemicals, metals & mining, and basic materials so it's a somewhat diverse mix. Overall the group's had strong deal flow, and worked on some pretty high profile deals. Mirant RRI and Exxon's acqusition of XTO come to mind among others. Not as informed on Simmons, so you may be right Shaniqua, but anyways these are all very strong practices.

Relevant / Stolen from other thread.. RBC is solid. Energy is a booming sector right now, should see plenty of deals most places you look.

Last Full Year (1/2010 - 12/2010) Oil & Gas M&A, Thomson:

Ranking Value, including Net Debt of Target:

(Value (Billions), Market Share, Number of Deals)

1. Goldman Sachs, $73.9, 22.4%, 40 deals
  2. J.P. Morgan, $52.1, 15.8%, 30 deals
  3. Bank of America Merrill Lynch, $50.1, 16.1%, 28 deals
  4. Barclays Capital, $46.6, 15.0%, 21 deals
  5. Credit Suisse, $42.1, 13.5%, 25 deals
  6. Deutsche Bank AG $41.3, 13.3%, 21 deals
  7. Citi, $40.5, 13.0%, 20 deals
  8. Morgan Stanley, $39.6, 12.8%, 28 deals
  9. Tudor Pickering & Co LLC, $31.1, 10.0%, 35 deals
  10. UBS, $25.3, 8.1%, 22 deals
  11. Scotiabank- Bank of Nova Scotia, $19.2, 6.2%, 10 deals
  12. Jefferies & Co, Inc., $17.7, 5.7%, 16 deals
  13. Standard Chartered PLC, $15.9, 5.1%, 6 deals
  14. Rothschild, $15.7, 5.1%, 9 deals
  15. RBC Capital Markets, $12.5, 5.1%, 9 deals
  16. Blackstone Group LP, $9.4, 3.0%, 2 deals
  17. TD Securities Inc, $8.6, 2.8%, 17 deals
  18. Evercore Partners, $6.2, 2.0%, 5 deals
  19. Nomura, $6.1, 2.0%, 5 deals
  20. Simmons & Co International, $5.7, 1.8%, 12 deals
  21. RBS, $5.3, 1.7%, 10 deals
  22. Banco BTG Pactual SA, $4.9, 1.6%, 2 deals
  23. Macquarie Group, $4.9, 1.6%, 17 deals
  24. ING, $4.0, 1.3%, 2 deals
  25. Stifel Financial Corp, $3.9, 1.2%, 2 deals

Last Full Year (1/2010 - 12/2010) Oil & Gas M&A, Thomson:

Freeman - Total Financial Advisor Imputed Fees:

(Value (Millions), Market Share, Number of Deals)

1. Goldman Sachs & Co, $261.4, 5.8%, 41 deals
  2. Bank of America Merrill Lynch, $199.7, 4.5%, 28 deals
  3. JP Morgan, $197.2, 4.4%, 31 deals
  4. Barclays Capital, $196.8, 4.4%, 25 deals
  5. Morgan Stanley, $148.5, 3.3%, 29 deals
  6. Credit Suisse, $146.5, 3.3%, 32 deals
  7. Deutsche Bank AG, $141.9, 3.2%, 22 deals
  8. RBC Capital Markets, $121.8, 2.7%, 39 deals
  9. UBS, $112.1, 2.5%, 23 deals
  10. Tudor Pickering & Co LLC, $111.8, 2.5%, 36 deals
  11. Jefferies & Co Inc, $110.9, 2.5%, 17 deals
  12. Citi, $93.5, 2.1%, 21 deals
  13. Standard Chartered PLC, $82.0, 1.8%, 6 deals
  14. Scotiabank-Bank of Nova Scotia, $71.6, 1.6%, 10 deals
  15. TD Securities Inc, $57.9, 1.3%, 17 deals
  16. Macquarie Group, $56.9, 1.3%, 20 deals
  17. Lazard, $50.1, 1.1%, 11 deals
  18. Rothschild, $45.4, 1.0%, 11 deals
  19. Simmons & Co International, $41.5, 0.9%, 15 deals
  20. RBS, $33.7, 0.8%, 12 deals
  21. Evercore Partners, $32.3, 0.7%, 6 deals
  22. CIBC World Markets Inc, $32.2, 0.7%, 12 deals
  23. Nomura, $29.7, 0.7%, 5 deals
  24. Blackstone Group LP, $27.9, 0.6%, 3 deals
  25. FirstEnergy Capital Corp, $25.9, 0.6%, 13 deals

GS does a lot of M&A, ships some stuff off to NY, JPM as well. I really liked JPM, bunch of frat-stars rollin around up there, great group of guys. BAML has really come up in th ranks in recent year(s), with XTO/Exxon, Duke/Progress. Energy sector is hot right now....What you need to worry about it the sweatshop factor

Sweatshops Lazard CS- heard horror stories Deutsche Citi GS maybe?

Tolerable Life Barclays- Probably the top group right now, place everywhere and you dont get burnt out BAML JPM

Nomura is just starting up an office in Houston, will see how that goes.

Tudor does a lot of deals, they're looking into Hedge Fund possibilities, but not looking to go above MM level. Greenhill is very small office, around 5 guys, all great people.

Life is more than dollars

Best Response
JeffSkilling:
SunTzu:
What you need to worry about it the sweatshop factor

Sweatshops Lazard CS- heard horror stories Deutsche Citi GS maybe?

Can anyone confirm the "Sweatshop" factor of these firms? I am considering offers from 2 banks on that list...

Lazard is notorious for this, but the Houston office didn't seem that bad.

I know people at CS NY, as well as former bankers from there. The hours are bad, but nothing out of this world (although it varies week to week).

Deutsche Houston seems to have average banking hours, if I'm not mistaken.

I've heard both things from GS, I guess it depends on the group. Some people tell me they loved their GS experience, others tell me they were churned and burned.

Citi NY seemed to have average banking hours as well.

Wall Street leaders now understand that they made a mistake, one born of their innocent and trusting nature. They trusted ordinary Americans to behave more responsibly than they themselves ever would, and these ordinary Americans betrayed their trust.

Awesome thread. Keep it going.

Wall Street leaders now understand that they made a mistake, one born of their innocent and trusting nature. They trusted ordinary Americans to behave more responsibly than they themselves ever would, and these ordinary Americans betrayed their trust.

Does anyone know where I can find the league tables for Oil & Gas (or Energy) for 2010? Not just M&A, but also fixed-income and equities. I've looked at a bunch of places but haven't found anything.

Wells Fargo's team seems to be picking up a lot of steam. They've been doing some pretty big deals recently. They advised Cheasapeake in the company's $1B offering.

Dude nobody can actually sustain 100+ hours a week... I find that very hard to believe. Maybe on the rough weeks or periods you can pull a few 100 hour weeks back-to-back, but it's not sustainable.

^ a guy at Lazard told me that before I even got into the industry.

But yes... that is mad rough for Houston, which tends to be more laid back than NY.

Beef:
Dude nobody can actually sustain 100+ hours a week... I find that very hard to believe. Maybe on the rough weeks or periods you can pull a few 100 hour weeks back-to-back, but it's not sustainable.

^ a guy at Lazard told me that before I even got into the industry.

But yes... that is mad rough for Houston, which tends to be more laid back than NY.

He's been doing it since mid-December, no lie.

GS > LAZ > DB

is how I would personally rank them... although I don't really believe in ranking firms in general, you should rank offices/locations/groups and the rankings will vary person to person based on what you consider to be the most important decision factors

Ah my bad... if we're talking Houston out of those 3 I might put LAZ on top of GS. Their Houston office is very very legit, for an already legit shop.

The Houston office did continental/united from what I understand... and they get crazy deal flow. Not only that, but they get exposure to some deals outside of oil & gas... not so at other Houston banks, which are pretty much all oil & gas.

The downside to LAZ HOU is that they get no capital markets experience, since they don't have the balance sheet for it... but then again the LAZ guys will tell you that as a selling point, and if you want to do M&A > PE then it certainly is a plus that you get more modeling experience.

Have a friend that's a 1st year analyst and he seems happy there, but don't know too much about their group... anyone else want to chime in on DB?

In general I would rank them a tier below the top Houston banks, but still a good bank.

i had similar offers and would disagree with Beef, as would everyone I spoke with in assessing my offers. Laz Houston definitely does NOT get crazy deal flow. You do get the benefit of non-oil and gas deals, but not a ton...and really this is Houston after all and if you're going to do banking you might as well get the benefit of oil and gas deals...and they just don't have them. Great guys and a reall good OFS banker but just dont have the presence yet. They've also lost 2 MD's in the last year, which didn't help up the deal flow.

DB I heard mixed things but I did really like all of the guys. They do a lot of MLP work and worked on the recent Holly/Frontier deal. Heard they are big on face time.

GS doesn't seem to be that strong in Houston and I think they ship a lot of their stuff up to new york. One of their MD's just left to start the Houston Moelis office.

For starting your career I would definitely go BB in Houston. New York might be a different story.

Cartwright:
i had similar offers and would disagree with Beef, as would everyone I spoke with in assessing my offers. Laz Houston definitely does NOT get crazy deal flow. You do get the benefit of non-oil and gas deals, but not a ton...and really this is Houston after all and if you're going to do banking you might as well get the benefit of oil and gas deals...and they just don't have them. Great guys and a reall good OFS banker but just dont have the presence yet. They've also lost 2 MD's in the last year, which didn't help up the deal flow.

DB I heard mixed things but I did really like all of the guys. They do a lot of MLP work and worked on the recent Holly/Frontier deal. Heard they are big on face time.

GS doesn't seem to be that strong in Houston and I think they ship a lot of their stuff up to new york. One of their MD's just left to start the Houston Moelis office.

For starting your career I would definitely go BB in Houston. New York might be a different story.

You're right about Lazard dealflow, I should have said "crazy dealflow per person" which may be more true since they're a lean group.

09 and 10? You must be referring to years?

Neque dolores rerum aperiam enim aliquam rerum. Sint consequatur nesciunt tenetur ducimus quis laboriosam eligendi. Odio omnis minima eligendi placeat sit molestiae. Dolorem quia ut omnis facilis vel.

Quia qui ut dolores deleniti est beatae. Commodi distinctio enim quaerat quam est deleniti et vitae. Dignissimos voluptates in alias quod est esse. Alias excepturi nulla vel ea.

Nisi hic quis quidem a minima. Est optio vero eaque exercitationem tenetur doloribus soluta.

Consequatur quae dolores ab atque voluptatum maiores. Dolor nesciunt incidunt quasi quaerat dolorem. Explicabo qui rerum fugiat voluptas. Distinctio architecto aperiam id repellendus eligendi aut temporibus. Facere dolore provident repudiandae. Quo eligendi eveniet aliquid ut.

Ea omnis eius maiores ullam et. Veritatis nesciunt corrupti necessitatibus. Hic iusto culpa enim et illum fugit porro.

Necessitatibus dolor aut et placeat. Adipisci et molestias possimus magni fugiat quam consequatur praesentium. Enim eos quis veniam quia qui qui modi reiciendis. Officiis est magnam quibusdam nostrum corrupti odit consequatur. Quidem quidem possimus ullam amet.

Voluptatum rem et nemo ipsam excepturi. Atque ullam omnis nobis quia molestiae dolorem.

Perferendis accusamus quia odio consequuntur corrupti odio saepe. Nam aut sit qui voluptatem.

Molestiae necessitatibus reprehenderit beatae fuga similique modi. Veritatis deleniti vel ratione ut fugit et quod sunt. Tempore ut ducimus ratione iure. Temporibus quis ipsam dolorem odit a. Eveniet quod maxime totam aspernatur totam.

Qui illum ipsa molestiae deleniti est. Numquam sunt omnis beatae quia quia. Dolorem maxime officia est exercitationem accusamus minima libero.

Maiores fugit voluptates non. Cumque numquam dolor totam magni sit velit enim. Et velit magni nostrum autem sint debitis nisi.

Dolorem sunt optio consequatur ut qui nostrum. In quia et itaque velit numquam id ut. Nesciunt adipisci et ut perspiciatis eius laborum quo. Voluptatibus et et beatae. Porro qui qui et qui quasi minima. Aperiam suscipit rerum sunt consequatur aliquam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”