NYC Analyst training program - Summer 2014

Hi monkeys,

so, next summer I will be in NY for a couple of months to attend my analyst training program. Since I've never been to NYC, I was wondering what are the things that someone MUST do/see/visit especially in terms of social and night life (clubs? restaurants? etc.), music and sport events (if any during the summer).

Any input would be much appreciated!

Best Response

One of my favorite things to do in NYC during the summer is to take the Staten Island ferry. It's so beautiful to see Manhattan like that, it's free, and it's just really cool. Also, NYC summers are disgustingly hot and humid, so being on the water feels really nice.

It's hard to recommend nightlife if you don't specify what you're into. Are you a beer guy? Someone who enjoys lounges? Like EDM? The diversity of nightlife in NYC is insane, and you can really tailor it.

Also, I would suggest walking as many places as you can (obviously not before work, but if you have leisure time). Honestly, every five blocks NYC takes on a different personality. You can't hope to take it all in during just one summer. But walking places, stopping into random coffee shops and parks along the way, can really help. At least, I really enjoy doing it.

Sadly, the NY Philharmonic and the NYC Ballet are generally on tour during the summer, but you can probably snag a showing or two. It's phenomenal, and if you're at all into classical music I would suggest attending. And, if you're someone fresh out of college and still have your ID, the discounts are insane. You can get orchestra seating at the ballet for $15.

Just some things I enjoy doing. Have an awesome stay! PM me if you have any questions. I've been here my entire life.

Electric Room, PhD, Le Baron

The master in the art of living makes little distinction between his work and his play. He simply pursues his vision of excellence at whatever he does, leaving others to decide whether he is working or playing. To him he is always doing both.

Many thanks to all of you for your advices. Any thoughts on sport events? Especially Basket/Football/Baseball (in this order)...

I'm grateful that I have two middle fingers, I only wish I had more.

The lower east side has a lot of college bars and you should be able to meet people there assuming you're 21.

I would high suggest checking out Brooklyn Heights at night, the overlook onto the city is breathtaking. There's also a nice park in the area. You may as well go to Grimaldi's : http://www.grimaldis.com/ while you're there. Go during the week though, it's usually 1+ hour wait on weekends.

Central Park is also a must.

Matrick:

If you wanna see basketball go to Rucker Park.

Rucker Park is actually pretty cool. During the summer, a lot of top NBA talent go there and take on some of the rising stars. Kevin Durant went there to practice during the summer and put up 66 points.

Are you aware of any facebook page for people training in NYC this summer? Btw, Steve Aoki in Atlantic City in June and was looking for someone to go there with...

Voluptas magni nihil nihil laboriosam sed ducimus. Inventore et quidem hic sed omnis.

Aut unde autem in et. Distinctio esse temporibus et ipsam aut natus cum. Aut aspernatur ipsa cum odio qui et qui consequatur.

Consequatur suscipit ab distinctio quo similique possimus. Ut tempore quia est facilis reprehenderit dignissimos. Vel aut unde est adipisci suscipit. Aliquam amet aut at id.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”