NYU Summer Housing 2010 Thread

It's getting about that time of year again.. checking the NYU Summer Housing website to see if the application is up yet. In the meantime, I just wanted to create a thread for those looking to live in the NYU dorms over the summer to keep each other updated.

Anyone know the general timeline for the process? I know applications are supposed out to be out 'mid-February' and that non-NYU kids have to obtain an NYU ID, which can take up to 3 days, before they can actually submit their preferences.

Also, what are recommendations for housing assignments? My NYU friend is recommending Gramercy Green first and foremost, then the Union Square dorms. Gramercy seems super nice - any word on if it will be available this summer?

NYU has 5+ dorms near Union Square. Some of them are nicer than others. However, Broome Street is part of an "exclusive" residential college program at NYU and the dorms are generally nicer. That being said, this may not be reflective of a sober viewpoint.

Best Response

If you're working in Midtown East (GHL, JPM, UBS, DB, etc.), I'd rank the available dorms like this:

1. Broome Street (2nd best location; 2nd best interior)
  2. Coral Towers (best location; tied worst interior)
  3. Greenwich Hotel (worst location; best interior)
  4. Lafayette Street Residence (2nd worst location; tied worst interior)
    • Location is rated solely on proximity
    • Interior is rated on how much the place resembles a jail cell
    • In a tie, location takes precedence

In response to previous post...Living near Union Square is absolutely fine for commuting downtown to the financial district. You can take a 4 or 5 train from Union Square station and it is 2-3 stops to the financial district if you are going to Fulton St. Station (near world trade center) or Wall Street. The 4 and 5 trains are extremely fast and go very far between stops so it is not an issue getting there quickly. It could take you longer to go a shorter distance on another subway line because they make so many stops.

Yeah, the area around Broome Street does seem a little barren. Greenwich Hotel would probably be the best positioned dorm for nightlife, as the best of that resides in West Village, the Meatpacking District and Chelsea. You'd just want to check to see how long of a commute it'd be to your office.

Coral Towers is OK because it's near Union Square, but it's a couple of blocks east.

Lafayette Street Residence is bad no matter how you look at it I guess.

Lafayette Street Residence really isnt that bad...

right next to 6 train and extremely close to NR lines...near chinatown so a lot of cheap food options

nice apartment style dorms with full blown AC. i got a triple and the room was huge. within the first 2 weeks of the summer two of my roommates left and i had the entire huge bedroom to myself for the next 7 weeks. it was pretty awesome.

Yeah I'm very interested in FiDi as well. Would be less of a commute in the morn/at night and won't have a whole lot of time to go out anyway during the 10-wk stint so I'd rather just save some $.

I am going for Citi at Greenwich, is Greenwich hotel the best location? how much per week?

Signs of Recession: Banker: “Where’s me Bonus?” Yuppie: “Whadya mean I have to actually work?” Fox Rock Mum: “Lidl’s the place to be seen in now!” Cowen: “It’s not my fault that me and my party are complete f**k-ups - it’s the recession silly!”

From an NYU student,

a) Broome area is actually pretty nice - Soho-ish, and near good food and restaurants. Also right next to NRW lines, which go right to both Wall St and Midtown 50s/B'Way area where many offices are.

b) Lafayette sucks, I lived there. Rooms are good, but for the 3-4 hours of sleep for SAs, not worth the shitty Chinatown location. Grimey, grimey, grimey - lived next to a homeless shelter and Off-Track Betting and not sure which brings in shadier characters. Near 6 train, yes, but still.

c) Coral is shitty but great location near Union Sq.

d) Greenwich Hotel would be good for Citi, plus decent trains run near there but it's sort of in the middle of nowhere.

aquamarinee:
Rates are available for both. I called to find out already -- New School's a lot cheaper ($270 per week for a double). Not sure about the deposit though. I think it'd be a lot easier to live within walking distance, but that's just my personal preference.

That is only $10 cheaper than the NYU double rate, I believe.

I just booked my spot for the summer @ 55 John Street and it ran me 2950 (including 250 app fee). It is a three man room. I agree with Aquamarinee - walking distance is key.

I'm on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen.

Such a relief, apparently my BB's finalizing a contract with NYU for SA housing.. hopefully we are covered or get a cheaper rate.. at least dont have to worry about where to live no more.

Signs of Recession: Banker: “Where’s me Bonus?” Yuppie: “Whadya mean I have to actually work?” Fox Rock Mum: “Lidl’s the place to be seen in now!” Cowen: “It’s not my fault that me and my party are complete f**k-ups - it’s the recession silly!”

How convenient it is to live in NYU while working at 388 Greenwich? I don't really care how good the dorms are since Im only there to sleep anyways.

Interning right near Central Park this summer at the Plaza hotel. Just sent in my application and paid my deposit listing Coral Towers as my first choice and Broome as my second, only because the available options are all about the same distance away and Im going to have to take a subway no matter which NYU dorm i live in. I also wanted apartment style. Are these good choices? Put Coral first because its closer to Union Sqaure (subways, grocery store, etc etc)

Also, do I have a good chance of actually getting a room? The application JUST went up last Wednesday and I'm assuming it took all NON nyu students the same 3 days it took me to get an ID number, so that would make yesterday the first day non NYU students could fill out the app.

Thanks!

I lived with EHS at the New Yorker last summer and it was terrible. Even though it was nice to be able to walk to work, the neighborhood is disgusting and touristy (too close to Times Square). The rooms are very small and there is little closet space - my roommate and I actually had to buy a hanging rack from Kmart to fit our work clothes, which just meant there was even less space to move around in the room. The laundry room was also closed for a month while I was there, which meant lugging dirty clothes a couple blocks to a laundromat.

Alcohol is not allowed in the building, and although this is not enforced too strictly, it is annoying to have to hide your bag when walking in from the liquor store.

By far the most annoying aspect of the New Yorker (not sure if it is like this at other EHS locations) was the ridiculous security/guest policies. You are only allowed to have one guest at a time and the security guards actually check your ID every time you walk in, especially at night. In addition, you have to check overnight guests in before 10:00pm on the day that they will be spending the night. As you can imagine, this is a problem if you happen to meet your overnight guest at the bar the same evening, and there were multiple times over the summer when a guard refused to allow in female guests of mine, despite pleading on my part.

On the whole, the New Yorker is expensive, cramped, and poorly located, and I would strongly urge you to live anywhere but there, regardless of how close you are working to the building.

The Ghost of Jesse Livermore:
As you can imagine, this is a problem if you happen to meet your overnight guest at the bar the same evening, and there were multiple times over the summer when a guard refused to allow in female guests of mine, despite pleading on my part..

Ouch! total cock block...

Sed cum aliquid quisquam alias eum tempora. Corrupti nesciunt inventore ab ea mollitia. Perferendis cumque temporibus ullam. Molestiae ipsa voluptates accusamus quam nostrum dolores. Officiis vel quidem tempora. Debitis illo est tempore cupiditate harum aut. Consequuntur distinctio fuga facilis animi quasi reiciendis atque.

Modi sed et perferendis qui culpa molestiae. Et eaque quidem hic. Delectus quidem nemo quo omnis autem ex. Et dignissimos quasi ducimus eum.

Hic eos porro voluptatem explicabo laboriosam quisquam sint. Ut nostrum mollitia porro iusto omnis dolor odit ut. Eos suscipit et molestiae id velit esse est. Optio delectus possimus excepturi ut. Nisi quis eos optio commodi. Quaerat consectetur expedita voluptatem commodi inventore ut. Et quis aut dolores sunt magni.

Provident quibusdam omnis sapiente numquam reprehenderit sed sed. Eligendi modi placeat harum. Est et sed sit animi enim et tempore.

Beatae illo nam aut voluptas et corrupti quia. Rerum soluta ipsa eaque est. Qui est debitis quae incidunt fugiat. Doloribus sed temporibus est explicabo voluptatem et. Dicta temporibus aperiam in placeat aperiam qui. Laudantium vitae voluptatem quisquam rerum.

Enim hic deleniti velit ipsum laboriosam error blanditiis. Et quisquam asperiores adipisci tenetur incidunt. Dolores ab quas aliquid. Voluptatum eos quo eos praesentium velit ut iusto perspiciatis.

Esse sunt vitae a consequuntur aut. Laborum voluptate velit reiciendis fugiat deserunt sunt asperiores. Commodi quia nemo maxime quo quibusdam ratione ut hic. Dolores dolorem repellendus voluptas distinctio illum dignissimos odio est. Iure odio magnam ipsum sit. Sit ipsam delectus ea aut dolorum.

Voluptatem est quia dolore voluptatem et. Et consequatur facere veritatis. Iusto consequatur ducimus id et sit. Quis modi reprehenderit distinctio aut.

Nostrum optio consequatur eveniet molestiae ipsa. Natus ipsam facere libero consequuntur dolor est. Qui vero modi dignissimos velit.

Cum dolor itaque debitis et et amet. Tempore placeat voluptas occaecati mollitia.

Ducimus doloribus numquam veritatis ipsam. At et esse consectetur eligendi adipisci labore ea.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”