So I had my first super day, it consisted of 6 interviews (2-1 and 1-1). I thought I did pretty good with 5 (made a good connection with the interviewer, answered all their questions, got them to smile/laugh etc). I got my rejection the next morning via phone and was quite disappointed - at the very least I thought I would have been wait listed. I also have another Super Day with the same firm for another division, and as I'm interested in this firm I emailed my interviewers and out of the 5 people I emailed, 4 responded with feedback or saying they wanted to help/keep in touch. I was just wondering:
How Does a Superday Interview Work?
How does this decision process work on Superdays? I thought these people liked me, and given that they wanted to help / meet up/ keep in touch after I was rejected I assume if 1 person doesn't like you, you are rejected?
- Superdays are super competitive
- Nailing technicals and building a good rapport with interviewers does not guarantee an offer
- Yes, sometimes if one person doesn't like you, then you might not get an offer
How to Ask for Feedback After Rejection
If they refuse to give feedback how can you improve or know what you did wrong? I got a few replies saying they can't give feedback due to HR rules, but they'd love to discuss my future plans, keep an eye out for other openings, help me with my other interviews, keep in touch etc.
- It is okay to reach out to interviewers to ask for feedback, but understand that HR rules or busy schedules might prevent them from responding
- If you can't get feedback from your interviewers, try role playing an interview with a friend or mentor who can give you tips on how to improve
Advice if You've Been Rejected
Rejection is tough, but you knew breaking in to investment banking was going to be difficult. WSO members share their advice post-rejection:
- Move on
- Make sure your resume and story are polished
- Continue networking, persistence is key
- Continue reviewing your technical
- Do mock interviews with friends, career services or a mentor
- Rejected After Superday from Company I Loved
- Tis the Season for Rejections
- Reasons for Rejection
- 15 First Rounds 3 Superdays 0 Offers What Now?
- How Long Does it Take to Hear Back from a Superday?
Preparing for Investment Banking Interviews?
The WSO investment banking interview course is designed by countless professionals with real world experience, tailored to people aspiring to break into the industry. This guide will help you learn how to answer these questions and many, many more.