Residential Mortgage Loan Officers making $500k+...

I have a good friend in the mortgage business who is making killer money. He's only been in the business for a couple years, but he made $500k last year and will make about $600k this year. The money he's making by itself is crazy as he's in his early-mid 20's, but especially so when considering how easy the job seems in comparison to more sophisticated RE/FIN jobs. Obviously it's a great time to be in the business with rates where they are and everyone and their mother refinancing, but anyone have any insight on what the long term or historical comp is for MLO's? I'd assume they'll experience drastic lay offs when rates go up, but making that kind of money for a few years and then moving on to something else doesn't seem too bad...

Most Helpful

The business is cyclical, generally speaking.. So it can definitely slow down. During the last crisis, for example, their income was $0. Shops up and disappeared. That happened to a lot of businesses, though.

I have two friends who work in Resi lending that started at Quicken type firms before going off to smaller shops and were making $150-250k in their early 20s. They'll both do similar numbers as your friend this year

The money can be great. But it's pure sales. It's a volume based business and if they're making that much, they're likely doing 100+ deals per year. I was talking to one of the friends I mentioned earlier this week, his business nearly doubled through the pandemic due to low rates. He'll do over 20 deals this month alone...

Most folks who do well get to the point where they have to pick between management and being a Senior Originator, because it takes a particular type of person to sustain that level of production throughout your career.

It's also not really glamorous. You're dealing with Joe Shmo and the mortgage on their condo, SFR, etc. The skillset isn't all that transferable unless you were to go management at another lender

I thought about it and passed the NMLS exam. I have family that was in that business pre-2008 and they were clearing just under ~$1m/year since they acted as a broker and had a few originators under them. I also have family friends that are a husband+wife that are still in that business and together they earn just under ~$1m a year with about 30 years of experience.

I realized that I am too risk averse to pigeonhole myself - let's say that one day (could be 10+ years from now, idk) residential mortgage brokerage dies like stock brokers did, what skill set have you built in that business that could translate to some other business? There is nothing quantitative/analytical about it at all - it's pure sales and relationship management.

This is true, but those skills are not respected in B2B gigs unless you earn them in B2B. While I was in college I worked in retail sales at a cell phone company part time. Since I live in the SF Bay, I decided to throw my hat in for trying to get a sales job at a tech company. Having sales experience helped me clear the resume screen, but even though I was a top 5-10% sales rep, since my experience was retail, it wasn't viewed as relevant to the job - just relevant towards having interest in sales.

This is different than B2B sales, if you sell copiers and are good at your job I bet that a tech company would see those skills as relevant and take you directly into a production role rather than a sourcing one (entry level, SDR/BDR)

It's pure sales hustle, just like being a residential broker. The top (maybe 5% or even less) will make that kind of money, the majority make less than $50k (if even, many strike out in less than a year barely doing any deals). That is not average comp by any stretch of the imagination.

There is essentially zero barriers to entry, anyone can get hired, license requirements are minimal. Your friend is really really really good at it. If it were that easy, it would be all up and down this board.

Know a consistent 7 figure producer in this game and some mid 6 figure guys. Super cyclical and as the outlier producer note: “when you’re making money you’re hurting”. Waking up at 530am in CA to cold call on leads in the east coast. 100+ deals a year. No thanks

I had a flair for languages. But I soon discovered that what talks best is dollars, dinars, drachmas, rubles, rupees and pounds fucking sterling.

Yep resi loan officers can rake it in. One of my best buddies is set to pull in $200k this year after 3 years in the industry. Not bad for a 26 year old. His boss consistently makes $1MM+ but is the top producer at his firm. All about relationships, if you’re a popular guy who’s got an established network and can handle taking calls at 8pm on a Monday and is okay with working weekends then go for it. Sky’s the limit despite the obvious cyclical nature of the business.

I also have friends who make a lot of money on this, but they don't look happy. Perhaps this is because the more money you have, the greater your needs and desires become. I also noticed that it's very hard to surprise a rich person and this is a real obstacle to the happiness. Nevertheless, I believe that a mortgage broker is a decent job that requires good knowledge, skills and effort, moreover, I recently had a positive experience with a mortgage broker Birmingham and I would like to share it with you. Well, I had complex issues with the mortgage and only thanks to an experienced broker I was able to keep my rights to the house.

Your guess is good as mine. 

But many are expecting a low interest rate environment going forward.  This could be bad as well, if your lending model is focused on refi's.  With rates not going lower no need to refinance to get a lower rate. You will then need to rely on reckless spenders and people looking to consolidate debt.  

People will still be buying, what I'm seeing is if you can afford a small down payment your mortgage with taxes and insurance are still less than a rent payment. 

Corrupti ut molestias natus quam quis. Ipsam placeat repellat voluptas nobis perferendis. Excepturi pariatur accusantium magni nemo.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”